Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Sword World War II

Hello

I have this Japanese sword in my collection, I'm not a big collector of Japanese militaria things but I think it's a nice sword. There is no signature on / from blacksmith only parts are marked with the No. 52. In the tub, it looks like a fragment , spall / ball impact. Is it likely that this sword is an original sword from II World War II and is an Officer's sword ?

Best Regards

Björn
    Attached Files

qw
    Attached Files

Comment

er
      Attached Files

Comment

ty
        Attached Files

Comment

ui
          Attached Files

Comment

as
            Attached Files

Comment

An original.
              I'll let others tell you about the blade. Some are hand made and some are semi machine made.
              Ralph.

Comment

It all looks good to me. Hand made or factory blade, you have a good piece there.

Comment

Iconic IJA Officer sword in Type 98 mounts. I'm not able to make a determination regarding Showato or Gendaito from those photos.

Regards,
                  Stu

Comment

From the hamon I would say oil quenched showato

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
                      From the hamon I would say oil quenched showato
                      I agree. If it was a traditional hand made sword, it would have the signature of the swordsmith.

Comment

This one was once in my collection.

I acquired it direct from the Grandson of the British soldier who brought it back from Burma after the war. But like most families of veterans, he didn't know anything else about his Grandad's time in the army. I guess these guys hardly ever spoke about the horrors they experienced, especially if they fought in Burma which was brutal by all accounts.

The bullet strike in the saya speaks a lot about what this particular sword went through. For me it was interesting to note how most of the corrosion is towards the tip of the blade where I would suggest most of the water ended up inside the saya. I've owned a few swords that came from Burma and they are all corroded in the same place.

As an aside, my Great Uncle also fought in Burma. I remember him buying me a few whiskies at a family wedding once when I just 18 or 19. He told me that he'd been taken prisoner and about some of horrendous stuff he'd experienced. I was too young to take it all in at the time and felt a little embarrassed to be honest sitting next to this old drunk guy with tears in his eyes. He died a few years later and that's when I learned that he'd never spoken about that stuff to anyone in the family before.

Knowing what I know now, I feel privileged that he choose me to talk to and I'll never forget it.
                        Last edited by BenVK; 03-29-2017, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BenVK View Post
                          This one was once in my collection.

I acquired it direct from the Grandson of the British soldier who brought it back from Burma after the war. But like most families of veterans, he didn't know anything else about his Grandad's time in the army. I guess these guys hardly ever spoke about the horrors they experienced, especially if they fought in Burma which was brutal by all accounts.

The bullet strike in the saya speaks a lot about what this particular sword went through. For me it was interesting to note how most of the corrosion is towards the tip of the blade where I would suggest most of the water ended up inside the saya. I've owned a few swords that came from Burma and they are all corroded in the same place.

As an aside, my Great Uncle also fought in Burma. I remember him buying me a few whiskies at a family wedding once when I just 18 or 19. He told me that he'd been taken prisoner and about some of horrendous stuff he'd experienced. I was too young to take it all in at the time and felt a little embarrassed to be honest sitting next to this old drunk guy with tears in his eyes. He died a few years later and that's when I learned that he'd never spoken about that stuff to anyone in the family before.

Knowing what I know now, I feel privileged that he choose me to talk to and I'll never forget it.
                          Good story, Ben, thanks!

Comment

Fantastic to know the history behind this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Hi

I must thank you for all the help I received regarding my sword. And thanks BenVK because you told me what you knew about the sword's history. I chose between this sword and another who probably came from you, but fell for this right only for the bullet strike.

Björn

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X