Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unknown JAAF Uniform Insignia - Please help

Hello,

I purchased this great JAAF tropical weight, vented tunic with all the insignia shown attached. What I don't know is the significance of the small white cotton patch sewn to the left pocket. I would think this would be some kind of squadron insignia? I have also included the interior name patch to see if someone could help translate.

Thanks

Tod
    Attached Files

no guesses?

I was hoping someone out there might have some idea...

Comment

Hi Tod

Hopefully Eric or Jareth might have some idea. I couldn't find it listed and couldn't find any unit insignia that matches. I've got some good books on the JAAF, I'll go through them this weekend and see if anything (hopefully) matches up.

eric

Comment

Tod, I'd need to see the tunic in person. My initial feeling is that it's been put togeather. The insignias look to be original but I question if they've been added post war. The insignia over the pocket(should be over the other pocket) is likely a unit symbol.The rank insignia is a tropical type & there's no way to know if it's been added.Tunics with name tags tailor sewn were usually officer's private purchase. It's a tough call as I said without seeing it.

Comment

Tod,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but I have been away from the computer for a little bit.

Insofar as the insignia in question, I am of the opinion that the insignia is an unofficial unit insignia. For additional examples of unofficial insignia, follow the link below:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86312

As for the kanji on the inside of the tunic, the two black painted characters appear to be Fujita (i.e., a common Japanese surname) when read from top to bottom.

Hope this helps and thanks for sharing the photos of you uniform with us.

Eric

Comment

thanks

Eric,

I appreciate your response and looking in to it. I had seen that other thread. That's what got me thinking about posting a response.

Jareth,

I hope it is not a a put-together. Closer examination and looking at lots of other material shows it has a very strong organic quality without shadows of other insignia.

Comment

Tod,

I received a regular e-mail from a fellow Japanese militaria collector and this is what he had to say about the insignia on your uniform..."The 6 pointed star is the symbol for a headquarters unit. I have it on a pocket patch and a sun helmet."

Hope this additional information helps and thanks John for your help as well.

Eric

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X