Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Optic

Hello All,
    Could someone advise what this scope was used for? Maybe some type of spotting scope?
    Many Thanks!
    John
    Attached Files

Looks like a surveying instrument.
    David Tiffin
    "They were the Leathernecks, the old breed of American regular, regarding the service as home and war an occupation!" (John Thomason, Jr. Fix Bayonets)

Comment

Thanks David,
      Would this have been used by the military, wondering because of the paint color, or had only civilian applications?
      John

Originally posted by David Tiffin
      Looks like a surveying instrument.
      Attached Files

Comment

Pic#2
        Originally posted by John E. Beggs Jr.
        Thanks David,
        Would this have been used by the military, wondering because of the paint color, or had only civilian applications?
        John
        Attached Files

Comment

Pic#2
          Attached Files

Comment

If it's a transit, it could be used for both. In picture 2, looks like they have a built in magnifing glass for reading the scale (degree type scale used for turning angles). Picture 1, I can see the thumb screws at the base plate used for leveling the instrument and in picture 3 I see the level which is on the barrel. With the barrel in a horizontal position this would be on top. There should be a little knob to lock the whole head from turning with another for fine adjustments and the same for the barrel. Have I quessed right? In the center, on the bottom is there a little wire hanging down to hook a plumb bob?
            David Tiffin
            "They were the Leathernecks, the old breed of American regular, regarding the service as home and war an occupation!" (John Thomason, Jr. Fix Bayonets)

Comment

Hi David,
              You are right about the plub bob and other components. This was represented to me as a Japanese military optic but I had some doubts which is why I wanted to present this to the forum. I have yet to purchase this as the seller hasn't set a price on it yet. I appreciate your help.
              Best Regards,
              John
              If it's a transit, it could be used for both. In picture 2, looks like they have a built in magnifing glass for reading the scale (degree type scale used for turning angles). Picture 1, I can see the thumb screws at the base plate used for leveling the instrument and in picture 3 I see the level which is on the barrel. With the barrel in a horizontal position this would be on top. There should be a little knob to lock the whole head from turning with another for fine adjustments and the same for the barrel. Have I quessed right? In the center, on the bottom is there a little wire hanging down to hook a plumb bob?
              Attached Files

Comment

another pic

Hi David,
                You are right about the plub bob and other components. This was represented to me as a Japanese military optic but I had some doubts which is why I wanted to present this to the forum. I have yet to purchase this as the seller hasn't set a price on it yet. I appreciate your help.
                Best Regards,
                John
                Attached Files

Comment

David is right. In the little box to the right of the serial number should be stamped (most likely) a small star for army acceptance. The date on it is September 1941.

Engineers were an important part of the Army, they built everything from runways to the bridge on the river Kwai with these things

eric

Comment

Thanks Eric!

Originally posted by blinky
                    David is right. In the little box to the right of the serial number should be stamped (most likely) a small star for army acceptance. The date on it is September 1941.

Engineers were an important part of the Army, they built everything from runways to the bridge on the river Kwai with these things

eric
                    Attached Files

Comment

Does it have a sight that looks down to the ground. Other words, if mounted to the legs as if it was set up to use. Instead of hooking a plumb bob up, is there a place were you would look through (at a right angle to the instrument) and you can see the ground?
                      David Tiffin

Comment

Hello David.
                        Don't see any other sight device.
                        Thanks!
                        John
                        Does it have a sight that looks down to the ground. Other words, if mounted to the legs as if it was set up to use. Instead of hooking a plumb bob up, is there a place were you would look through (at a right angle to the instrument) and you can see the ground?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X