No announcement yet.

a $500,000 dollar story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree. PRICELESS!!!! and I don't think we owe Japan ANYTHING either. and I think $500,000.00 is very cheap for what you are getting. I mean to you, Hitlers personal photo album is probably worth that. That flag means a lot. Japan was not an easy victory at all! It was extremely difficult to gain. I think they should be donated to a musem, not sold!

Comment

I wonder what the commission would be on 500k!

Comment

Originally posted by RoyA
        I'd rather have 500 high priced hookers (or 5000 cheap ones)
        In that case shipping will be extra...

ben

Comment

C'mon guys even Greek or Egyptian ancient antiquities in the black market, don't cost that much...let's be realistic about it, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Justen_Wilson
            I agree. PRICELESS!!!! and I don't think we owe Japan ANYTHING either. and I think $500,000.00 is very cheap for what you are getting. I mean to you, Hitlers personal photo album is probably worth that. That flag means a lot. Japan was not an easy victory at all! It was extremely difficult to gain. I think they should be donated to a musem, not sold!

A museum did have them for display. I think the best place for these is in private hands of a serious collector, most museums would just sell them to focus on a pacticular era.
            I would think the value for this group is around $5,000-$8,000 to a collector in this field. I think it's a nice group.

Comment

I've always said..."Who's the bigger fool?....The guy asking the price or the one paying it?" ....And NO, it's NOT worth a cool half of a million "greenbacks"....I feel $3-5K is reasonable, but put it on the Rock Island Arsenal Auction and it may very well take off....Bodes

Comment

Perry is more in line with the value, though I spoke with someone last night who emailed him an offer of $12,000 for the set.

eric

Comment

I may be cynical but it's interesting that a militaria seller's father just happened to have these...

Notice how the alleged letter by the museum curator curiously isn't pictured.

I say he shelled out a few hundred for the flags and then married them up with the 78 record and news clipping that he found at a yard sale.

I guess I'm preacing to the choir.

PS I also thought the bit about the father not speaking to the daughter because she bought a Japanese car, and the story about the father's medical condition were "protesting too much."

Comment

OK, I just did a google and came up with this (scroll down mid page):

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/Gen9502ndgen/Jan05.pdf

This flag is referred to as THE flag from the Nagato, but I guess I'm nit picking.

Now, I admittedly don't know how many rising suns flew on a battleship, but this flag is approximately the same as the one on eban, which is 17 feet by about 11 feet.

If you look at the one indoor photo, note the number of vets holding the side and top and you'll get some idea of the size. The flag seems slightly smaller although the pic is taken at an angle and the flag isn't pulled taut.

This flag is currently on display at the USS South Dakota Memorial...

Comment

I'm with Michael Page on this one... Who says that a couple flags weren't just married up to the record and photos and *viola* a $500K group! You've got maybe $2K worth of flags, a $50 record with frame/etc. from an estate sale and you're in the dough!
                      Also, being that the Nagato was a major flagship, it probably had a half dozen flags onboard of similar size. Why not? When one would get wet/dirty/torn, you'd need to have another! Another thought - how many "Nagato" flags were floating around Japan anyway? We took over a number of Japanese bases "lock, stock and barrel" and I'm certain that there were hundreds of flags in storage. Sailors aren't dumb - telling a "recent arrival" in country during the first days of the occupation that "this exact flag" was flown over the big ship in the harbor would definately get a few more dollars than saying the flag just came out of the warehouse...

Just a few cynical thoughts...

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Werner
                        IMO, if this story is true, these flags would be priceless national treasures to both the USA and Japan. They should belong to the people, and be properly displayed. It would be neat to see our government buy them, and present them to the people of Japan as a gesture of reconciliation and friendship.
                        We owe them nothing, Let them buy them

Comment

Originally posted by blinky
                          Perry is more in line with the value, though I spoke with someone last night who emailed him an offer of $12,000 for the set.

eric
                          I am sure this is what it is all about. There have been almost 6000 viewings of this item. I bet there are quite a few offers being made. Someone will end up with the set. And for far less than the asking advertisement price.
                          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

ntxt
                            Last edited by Michael Page; 03-04-2005, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X