WWII Japanese Flag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WWII Japanese Flag?

I added this flag to my collection the other day. It is silk and about 36 X 26 inches. I have never seen one with a scene like this. Any Ideas?

Attached Files

Comment

Well, it looks great, but I don't see anything that connects it to either the military or WW2. Can you elaborate as to the circumstances under which it came into your possession? Vet acquired? EBay? Other collector?

Does anyone else recognize a link between the kanji and the military and if so what period?

Regards,
      Stu

Comment

The last three kanji read 八坂塔 (Yazakanotou), which is a famous tourist spot in Kyoto, on the temple grounds of the famous Houkanji (法観寺). You can see the five-storied pagoda behind the trees in this depiction.

No military connection. And I am not even sure it is pre-war, but it certainly could be.

Comment

Originally posted by imperialjapan View Post
          The last three kanji read 八坂塔 (Yazakanotou), which is a famous tourist spot in Kyoto, on the temple grounds of the famous Houkanji (法観寺). You can see the five-storied pagoda behind the trees in this depiction.

No military connection. And I am not even sure it is pre-war, but it certainly could be.
          Wow! I was there 50 years ago. That sure brings back some wonderful memories.

Regards,
          Sstu

Comment

Originally posted by Stu W View Post
            Well, it looks great, but I don't see anything that connects it to either the military or WW2. Can you elaborate as to the circumstances under which it came into your possession? Vet acquired? EBay? Other collector?

Does anyone else recognize a link between the kanji and the military and if so what period?

Regards,
            Stu
            A seller that i know bought it from a walk in at a gun show last weekend. It came with a bunch of Navy stuff from what I understand. I did not see the other stuff but it sounded like the contents of a duffle bag, uniforms and such. I was thinking it could be from the occupied period, possibly a tourist item? Looks like something that would fill the need for a souvenir to bring home?

Comment

Looks strange to paint a boat as Houkanji temple is located inland.
              Last edited by chen; 02-10-2017, 01:36 AM.

Comment

Art Flag

I have to side with Stu and Rich on this one: this appears to be a nice old art work flag. However, I don't think that you can say whether there is any military connection to it or not. Thank you posting...

MikeB

Comment

It is a gorgeous flag, that is for sure.

(I must admit that I get a Bob Ross vibe when I see it. Certainly a lot of happy trees here and there)

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by chen View Post
                    Looks strange to paint a boat as Houkanji temple is located inland.
                    Artistic license

Comment

Originally posted by Mikebiker View Post
                      A seller that i know bought it from a walk in at a gun show last weekend. It came with a bunch of Navy stuff from what I understand. I did not see the other stuff but it sounded like the contents of a duffle bag, uniforms and such. I was thinking it could be from the occupied period, possibly a tourist item? Looks like something that would fill the need for a souvenir to bring home?
                      This is exactly what I was thinking when I first saw it. Nice item.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X