Small Piece of Japanese Zero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small Piece of Japanese Zero

I recently acquired this small aluminum pieces that was supposedly cut from a Japanese Zero. The U.S. veteran who brought it back served with the U.S. 5th Air Force and was awarded the Purple Heart, Air Medal and Distinguished Flying Cross. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Barry
    Attached Files

Can't help answer your question fully without pictures of the back side! Also look for any manufacturers symbols stamped into the back side and if they are there take enlarged photo please.
    Kanji beneath 462 is "RIGHT" and I've seen this on a shroud cover for a fixed landing gear plane (like a Val). My Val piece had a Sumitomo symbol stamped in it.

Last edited by beretta1934; 01-10-2017, 10:59 PM.

Comment

The Japanese navy used a green blue coating on reverse

Comment

Attached is a photo of the reverse.
        Attached Files

Comment

ALL navy planes have an aqua blue finish (called AOTAKE) on the inside for corrosion resistance. So yours is NOT navy and therefore NOT from a A6M (i.e. Zero).

There might be some additional insight from a translation of the kanji after the 462 .
          I'll ask GHP if he can help here.

Comment

You might want to check over at j-aircraft forums as well.

Tom

Comment

this might be relevant as far as AOTAKE goes :

https://coles-aircraft.myshopify.com...-aotake-paints

Comment

Originally posted by beretta1934 View Post
                ALL navy planes have an aqua blue finish (called AOTAKE) on the inside for corrosion resistance. So yours is NOT navy and therefore NOT from a A6M (i.e. Zero).

There might be some additional insight from a translation of the kanji after the 462 .
                I'll ask GHP if he can help here.
                Translation: 462号 (Number 462) 右 (right)

Comment

Originally posted by imperialjapan View Post
                  Translation: 462号 (Number 462) 右 (right)

Thanks Rich ... I've been in bed with a cold. Saw that last night ... I even googled any combination of:

462号 / 右
                  戦飛行機部分
                  ゼロ戦

But came up with nothing.

Cheers!
                  --Guy

Comment

Thanks Rich and Guy! Well I think our work here is done... Yes, Japanese, NO not a Zero and the other clues don't lead anywhere.

I was fortunate enough on my Val piece to have Kanji calling out the manufacturer (Aichi) and Right. I also had a set of numbers. The number is the last three digits of the aircraft serial number. Similar to Japanese firearms using the 3 digits of the serial number was a way to track a part so if it had to be removed during service or repaired itself it could go back on the correct plane which was important since many of these curved aluminum pieces were actually hand fitted to match up with mating screw holes.

Comment

A very interesting discussion here, which I really appreciate. The average American GI had no idea what type of Japanese plane he was cutting a piece from - anything that looked like a fighter was a Zero to them. It seems that this aircraft piece will never positively be identified. I plan to sell it, so what would you say a reasonable price for it would be?

Barry

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X