Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on this Type 95

Hi All,

Your thoughts on this sword would be appreciated. I believe it to be a reproduction but wish to have the opinions of others familiar with the type before I link the owner to this thread.

Thank you.

Regards,
    Stu

6 photos to follow.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I'd say definitely a reproduction Stu.

Collar markings are wrong, font used for the numbers is wrong, placement of scabbard ring is wrong, plus some other issues as well.

Cheers

Russ

Comment

I agree - the drag is wrong, the saya throat too thick, saya serial number is on the wrong side of the throat, blade serial number is upside down for a Tokyo make (Ok if Nagoya; although I've seen 1 legit Tokyo with upside down ser #). Fuchi stamps are swithed with not center inspector stamp.

It would be nice to see the kissaki end of the bo-hi. Fakes usually get those wrong.

Comment

Thanks guys. In fact there are a number of issues with this sword but I wanted the owner to hear it from more than one voice.

Regards,
            Stu

Comment

I agree, a fale.

Comment

I can see many things that are not period correct, and I don't even know these NCO swords that well. I do know however, that if Stu W, says its a bad one, you better listen

PG-

Comment

Yes

If it's not good enough for Stu then it's not good enough for me!

Comment

Originally posted by BruceP View Post
                    I blade serial number is upside down for a Tokyo make (Ok if Nagoya; although I've seen 1 legit Tokyo with upside down ser #). Fuchi stamps are swithed with not center inspector stamp.
                    I don't see a way to edit my previous post, so I'll simply give an update to my statement above:

After much discussion with our friend Stu, I am now fairly sure that the gunto that I thought I remembered - Kokura arsenal (cannoon balls), Nagoya-style serial numbers - was actually a Nagoya blade. At the time I saw the gunto I had believed that all Nagoya blades were made with the side-latch. The gunto in question had a top-latch, Kokura cannon-balls, but Nagoya-style serial number with cutting edge up. That really threw me. I thought I was looking at a Tokyo made blade with upside-down numbers. What I didn't realize was that Nagoya, at that time was still under Kokura administration (hence the Kokura stamp) and that they made both top-latch and side latch styles.

Executive summary - I've never seen a Tokyo made blade with upside down numbers. Hope I didn't just confuse the heck out of anyone!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BruceP View Post
                      I don't see a way to edit my previous post, so I'll simply give an update to my statement above:

After much discussion with our friend Stu, I am now fairly sure that the gunto that I thought I remembered - Kokura arsenal (cannoon balls), Nagoya-style serial numbers - was actually a Nagoya blade. At the time I saw the gunto I had believed that all Nagoya blades were made with the side-latch. The gunto in question had a top-latch, Kokura cannon-balls, but Nagoya-style serial number with cutting edge up. That really threw me. I thought I was looking at a Tokyo made blade with upside-down numbers. What I didn't realize was that Nagoya, at that time was still under Kokura administration (hence the Kokura stamp) and that they made both top-latch and side latch styles.

Executive summary - I've never seen a Tokyo made blade with upside down numbers. Hope I didn't just confuse the heck out of anyone!!!

Hi Bruce,

Good post. It never hurts to clarify something such as this because these threads will one day form the basis of new learning for an entry level collector.

Regards,
                      Stu

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X