Unique Flag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unique Flag?

About a couple of months ago a fellow collector I know got a good luck flag off Ebay , he was selling it earlier in the year then decided to keep it now looking to sell it again for extra cash for the holidays I guess. The flag does look good to me but the issue that scares me about it is he told it was signed by a general Jiro Tamon. Not sure how common a flag like this is, or if this is even real now. Would like to get some advice. Found the original Ebay link as well. http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAPANESE-WW2...p2047675.l2557
    Attached Files

No.

I won't spend time on this flag except to say the signature begins with "toku", and is not Tamon Jirō 多門 二郎.

--Guy

Comment

Thanks. Do you think that it is at least real but just wrongly translated?

Comment

Flag

Hi Sean-
        Thanks for posting this flag for review. The first thing I notice is that the flag is upside down/switched around. As Guy mentions, the flag is not signed by Tamon Jiro, the General in question. Since the flag lacks his signature, the rest of the flag is called into question as well. General's and other high ranking Japanese military personnel were want to sign flags as many of those flags belonged to much lower ranking men. They simply did not mix in terms of their daily lives, and it would have been considered inappropriate to sign a common soldier's flag. That being said, you may/will see flags signed by men listing their ranks as Lt., Capt., Maj., Lt. Col., Col. and similar ranks. You may also encounter flags where someone else has written the name of the General in terms of a flag's presentation, or where the General's signature has been mass copied and the item was then distributed. You might even see various quoted exultations from Generals or Admirals that were copied onto a man's good luck flag as an inspirational reminder. Actual signatures of Generals listed on a Good Luck Flag are rare. The flag in question seems to lack other signatures as well as the General's signature. It therefore strikes me as being made up or contrived. The flag does show wear, however, the inked characters are in very good condition relative to the flag (perhaps added post-war). As to whether the flag is wartime, there are generally no characteristics to indicate a wartime vs. a post-war hinomaru flag. Even some post-war national flags were made during or before the war, found in storage and then used afterward.
        MikeB

Comment

<sigh> [...SIGH...] "forced" to respond further.

The location on the bottom right of the flag places it in Aichi Prefecture.

千種町元古井寺脇一同
          Chikusa-chō, Moto Furui, Terawaki Ichidō
          From All of Us from the former Terawaki [a village in Furui] Furui, Chikusa Town.
          Apparently the township name was changed, so they refer to it as "the former".

Top large kanji
          必勝
          Hisshō
          Certain Victory

I do not know which direction to read these:
          King
          Fun
          Path / Road
          Earth / Ground

--Guy</sigh>

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
            <sigh> [...SIGH...] "forced" to respond further.

The location on the bottom right of the flag places it in Aichi Prefecture.

千種町元古井寺脇一同
            Chikusa-chō, Moto Furui, Terawaki Ichidō
            From All of Us from the former Terawaki [a village in Furui] Furui, Chikusa Town.
            Apparently the township name was changed, so they refer to it as "the former".

Top large kanji
            必勝
            Hisshō
            Certain Victory

I do not know which direction to read these:
            King
            Fun
            Path / Road
            Earth / Ground

--Guy</sigh>
            王道樂土-Use good manner to govern the country ,make it become to land of happiness.
            It's old Chinese idiom.In WW2 Japanses use it as slogan for 偽滿洲國Manchukuo。

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X