GermanMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Japanese Type 95 shin gunto real or fake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Type 95 shin gunto real or fake?

I have a chance to buy a very nice type 95 NCO sword for a good price but I'm a bit wary of fakes. It looks correct but there's one thing that worries me. I'm a novice when it comes to this but I do my research. The makers mark on the left is not one I've seen and isn't there supposed to be the exact character next to the serial number? The serial number itself strikes me as a bit high as well. Can anybody authenticate this sword or give me some more info on this mark? I can't figure out how to post pics of it but I can email them if anybody can help me.

hi
    to help Ralfy i put the pictures of the katana

Comment

Looks like a fake to me.

Regards

Russ

Comment

The seppa is awful, the stamps on the collar are bad, the stamp on the blade looks new, the placement of the suspension ring on the scabbard is too low, the handle doesn't look good at all.

Regards

Russ

Comment

This is what I was looking for...I had a gut feeling it was a fake. The dealer is very reputable and I'll let him know asap.

Comment

I'm not so sure it's a fake. It appears to me to be a 100% post war reproduction made in any one of a number of countries other than Japan.

Regards,
            Stu
            PS: What can I say, too much time on my hands.

Comment

There were only 6500 or so copper handled Type 95s. The serial number is way too high.

Comment

Originally posted by BruceP View Post
                There were only 6500 or so copper handled Type 95s. The serial number is way too high.
                And that's brass not copper. The copper tsuka models are quite distinctive when viewed in hand.

Regards,
                Stu

Comment

Originally posted by Stu W View Post
                  And that's brass not copper. The copper tsuka models are quite distinctive when viewed in hand.

Regards,
                  Stu
                  True! There were NO brass handle 95s. This is probably an effort to immitate the copper handle.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X