Billy Kramer

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to Determine Authenticity of Sake Cups???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Determine Authenticity of Sake Cups???

I'm looking for a gift for my 12 year old daughter for Christmas. All three of my kids collect WWII items, but she has an acute interest in Japanese militaria and things from the Pacific war. I've been looking at several decorated sake cups on eBay, but was wondering if there is any way to ensure that I'm getting an authentic period piece and not a modern reproduction.

Here is an example: click here

Thanks!

Hi, I helped my mom build a collection several years ago. There really aren't reproduction sake cups per say, but there are definitely cups that are made post war. The cup you show is original but not in very good condition. The bottom fell out of the market so to speak several years ago so these can be had at very good prices and I would only buy those in the very best condition. The only "reproductions" (or cups that are dubious) are the so called Kamikaze cups (there is a thread on here somewhere). This site below is a good starting point and has a wealth of information:

http://www.imperialjapansakecups.com/

Send me a pm or an email and I will be happy to give further help and advice on individual cups. Sake cups have always been kind of a vicarious hobby for me.
    Zach
    Last edited by zachb; 11-26-2016, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Send me your address by PM if you wish and I'll give you a cup for your daughter.

Regards,
      Stu

Comment

I echo what Zach has said. Here is another site for sake cups that are reasonably priced:

https://militarysakecups.com

Tom

Comment

In general you are more likely to get a wrongly attributed saki cup rather than a fake. I bought a rather nice nice red lacquer cup with gold Maki-e 蒔絵 Kiri-Mon that I thought was military. It turned out to be a Taisho era prize for "best in show" agricultural produce!

Comment

Exactly as stated above. Most are 'real' you just have to know whether it's actually military or civil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by zachb View Post
              Hi, I helped my mom build a collection several years ago. There really aren't reproduction sake cups per say, but there are definitely cups that are made post war. The cup you show is original but not in very good condition. The bottom fell out of the market so to speak several years ago so these can be had at very good prices and I would only buy those in the very best condition. The only "reproductions" (or cups that are dubious) are the so called Kamikaze cups (there is a thread on here somewhere). This site below is a good starting point and has a wealth of information:

http://www.imperialjapansakecups.com/

Send me a pm or an email and I will be happy to give further help and advice on individual cups. Sake cups have always been kind of a vicarious hobby for me.
              Zach
              Thanks so much! Appreciate the information and the offer.

Comment

Thanks so much for everyone's insight. I'm always trying to learn more. Appreciate it!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X