Translation and thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Translation and thoughts

Hi guys, this is out of my normal collecting area, the sword was brought back to England at the end of the War.
    I would appreciate any thoughts on the tang translation and if the blade can be roughly dated.
    Many thanks - Greg
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I think I saw this nakago elsewhere, but was unable to see the kanji clearly. Now, I can make out:

備州長船祐定
            Bishū Osafune Sukesada

I'll leave it up to the experts to tell which generation Sukesada (link to Index of Japanese Swordsmiths), and whether or not it is gimei, etc., etc., etc.

--Guy
            Last edited by GHP; 11-24-2016, 10:36 PM. Reason: Increased font for Stu's sake! (^__^)

Comment

Many thanks for the help Guy
              Any thoughts men on the possible age of the blade?
              Cheers - Greg

Originally posted by GHP View Post
              I think I saw this nakago elsewhere, but was unable to see the kanji clearly. Now, I can make out:

備州長船祐定
              Bishū Osafune Sukesada

I'll leave it up to the experts to tell which generation Sukesada (link to Index of Japanese Swordsmiths), and whether or not it is gimei, etc., etc., etc.

--Guy

Comment

Unlikely to be Gimei with the common and generic signature. The frequently faked Sukesada's are those with specific / master swordsmith names. Sukesada blades are kind of an early production line affair with usually one head swordsmith leading the name.
                The short, stubby and parallel sided tang likes like an uchigatana? What length? I'm think roughly 24/25" if an uchigata. They were popular late Koto but all just my opinion.

Comment

Except for the first two generations of Sukesada, blades signed with Bishu instead of Bizen are kazuchimono or massed produced blades that were signed by numerous helpers and not the smith himself. These blades are basically from the mid 16th c. After the end of civil war and power becoming under the control of Tokogawa Iyeyasu as shogun, there was no further need for production of such blades. In the sword collecting world, Sukesada in most cases considered a brand name.

Comment

So technicallly they are gimei

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
                      Interesting observation Nick. I never thought of it in that manner.

Comment

Or daisaku-mei, signed by students / workers, with the knowledge and permission of the master.

Comment

I think the Mei on these bundle swords are more like a marketing ploy
                          As bob said a trade mark
                          I doubt they ever went nearly a smith could sukesada let alone being made by one of his students

Comment

I think the Mei on these bundle swords are more like a marketing ploy
                            As bob said a trade mark
                            I doubt they ever went nearly a smith could sukesada let alone being made by one of his students
                            I'm sure you're right. Without getting into symantics, it's just to highlight the distinction between gimei (faked and applied without consent or knowledge) and daisaku-mei, where someone else signs with consent and knowledge, even if not exactly under their watchful eye.

Sukesadas are a rather unique brand, ranging from outstanding works of art, made by the "named" masters to very utilitarian tools made by the rank and file under the Sukesada banner. The mei is often (but not always) an indicator of quality and as a rule of thumb, the more (in terms of content) the better. Those, however, are also the ones which are so often faked.

Comment

Probably being a bit picky but I don't think there was any one to give consent
                              The true sukesada of this period would not put there name to these swords

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X