Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shin gunto type 98 markings

Hi,

i recently bought this katana, since i have never owned one i consider myself a novice.
    I found out that it is a type 98, probably mid to late war. After removing the hilt i disovered some Japanese characters. Been all over the internet to find out what it says but with little to no results. The only thing that i found that it is a non-traditional sword, indicated by the showa mark. There is a visible hamon on the blade but maybe this is etched? the scabbard is made of lacquered wood covered with leather.
    Every comment is welcome.
    I will try to show you some pictures.
    Thanks!

Link

Here's a link to my album

https://goo.gl/photos/fyLigrfZ8xeRzcwf8

Comment

Kanemichi Saku. (Made by Kanemichi). Used Seki and Sho (as in this case) stamps.
      Dated, I think? " Koki ni Sen roku hyaku ichi nen." (2601 years from beginning of Empire, i.e. 1941)

Comment

Originally posted by Beater View Post
        Kanemichi Saku. (Made by Kanemichi). Used Seki and Sho (as in this case) stamps.
        Dated, I think? " Koki ni Sen roku hyaku ichi nen." (2601 years from beginning of Empire, i.e. 1941)
        Thank you very much, you're realy helpfull!

Comment

Originally posted by Beater View Post
          Kevin, I've only seen a few blades dated this way and I don't remember the dates of the prvevious ones. Was this an older method of dating that fell out of practice as the war progressed?

Comment

Originally posted by BruceP View Post
            Kevin, I've only seen a few blades dated this way and I don't remember the dates of the prvevious ones. Was this an older method of dating that fell out of practice as the war progressed?
            I'm not sure Bruce. It is certainly less common than the year of reign method used throughout history and, I suspect, peaked at the 2600th anniversary? Thereafter it seems to loose its significance and frequency of use even with those smiths who used it around that particular anniversary year.

Comment

Very Nice type 98

I like that it has the combat cover for the tsuka, and the leather tab that hold it to the saya is not broken (n officers tassel would really set it off).

Congrats

Comment

Originally posted by Mikson View Post
                Very Nice type 98

I like that it has the combat cover for the tsuka, and the leather tab that hold it to the saya is not broken (n officers tassel would really set it off).

Congrats
                Thanks! Unfortunately it is broken but a acquaintance of me is skilled in leather repair, i will ask him if its possible to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by cel View Post
                  Thanks! Unfortunately it is broken but a acquaintance of me is skilled in leather repair, i will ask him if its possible to fix it.
                  I broke the strap on one of my leather NCO tassels. I used some Gorilla gel glue and pinched the tear together with a clamp. It's held up well.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X