MilitariaPlaza

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sovinier WW 1 - Marine Japan - China ? ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sovinier WW 1 - Marine Japan - China ? ?

The family say , ist a item from a ship ?

Sorry for the delay in responding to your posting.

Here is a Japanese cigarette (?) case (from the late 1940s early 1950s?) that I have.

The kanji translates to fuduju which means prosperity and longevity.

Is you case similarly marked on the bottom?
    Last edited by Eric Doody; 03-06-2005, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Photo 2 of 3...
      Attached Files

Comment

Photo 3 of 3...
        Attached Files

Comment

When were things no longer labeled " made in occupied Japan"?

Ed

Comment

Ed,

That's an excellent question!

My father picked up a similar piece (i.e., a cigarette holder in the form of a Japanese castle) when he was in Japan during the Korean war that is marked Made In Japan.

One of the kanji on the two cigarette (?) cases pictured has since been simplified and is no longer written the same way today.

Anyone know when the Japanese stopped marking items Made in Occupied Japan?

Eric

Comment

In 1891 the McKinley Tariff Act was instated, requiring items imported into the United States to be marked in English with the country of origin. The name "Nippon" was chosen for items coming from Japan. (Nippon is the Japanese name for Japan.) In 1921, the official country of origin name requirement was changed to "Japan", thus creating a defined time period 1891-1921 in which wares were marked Nippon. Previous to 1891, items were either not marked at all, or marked with Japanese characters. During the period 1921-1941 porcelain should be marked "Japan" and roughly after 1941, marked "Made in Japan", though numerous exceptions appears to occurs. Pieces marked with JAPAN or MADE IN JAPAN in plain text without any company marks, in general date to the period immediately after the second WW. Some come with the addition of OCCUPIED JAPAN.

It seems that Made in Japan and Made in Occupied Japan were used at the same time. The practice of using Made in Occupied Japan seems to date from between 1945 and 1952.

Comment

Thank You for the answer, ED

Comment

Eric (a.k.a. Blinky),

Nice job on the write-up...that was very helpful for me.

Eric

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X