Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new made Katana

Has anybody any experience of bought form "" Swords of Northshire ""
    and any recommendation from where to but new made Katana for display but close to an original.
    thanks
    Alf

Hi Alf,

Take time to do your research first before buying a replica because the quality and prices vary a lot.

This is a good place to start reading:

https://sbg-sword-forum.forums.net/b...apanese-swords

There's also a sales thread:
    https://sbg-sword-forum.forums.net/b...ems-sale-trade

Comment

Originally posted by BenVK View Post
      Hi Alf,

Take time to do your research first before buying a replica because the quality and prices vary a lot.

This is a good place to start reading:

https://sbg-sword-forum.forums.net/b...apanese-swords

There's also a sales thread:
      https://sbg-sword-forum.forums.net/b...ems-sale-trade
      Thank you BenVK, much appreciated. To tell you the truth I did some research but according to the low prices I am not impressed with the sword quality even that they say it is clay tempered and hand forged and so on. Of course I prefer realyy Papanses swords but I though I get a replica to handle and not use the real ones.
      Alf

Comment

Fingers crossed I should have my first custom made sword arriving from China soon and I'll write a short review for you.

Comment

Originally posted by BenVK View Post
          Fingers crossed I should have my first custom made sword arriving from China soon and I'll write a short review for you.
          Thank you, that would be super, you bought local or from the internet
          Alf

Comment

Alf,

That's a tough question for most of us! We spend so much time trying to avoid replicas! I've seen quite a few on eBay. They ususally have a low price like $150 USD, say "hand made" and are shipping from China. The quality these days has improved considerably.

Comment

Originally posted by BruceP View Post
              Alf,

That's a tough question for most of us! We spend so much time trying to avoid replicas! I've seen quite a few on eBay. They ususally have a low price like $150 USD, say "hand made" and are shipping from China. The quality these days has improved considerably.
              Hi BruceP, You are right and the worst part is that it is made in China, If I want a copy of Japanese Katana at least I want it made in Japan. As long as I know that it is copy and paid for a copy I do not mind have one. The problem as you said they are being made very good and with some work on them one like me who is a beginner could be easily fooled to pay high sums for a copy
              I have to find an honest source otherwise I will not buy an original from the internet, if he is not recommended from someone I know.
              Alf

Comment

A few years back I was planned to buy this katana but it never came that far because I lost interest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mrpfvfaxQM Costs about 800 EUR here in Europe.

The Cas Hanwei Bamboo Mat Katana. Made in China but you do some nice cutting work with these. There exist many you-tube films from an American swordfighter who tests all these blades. I also believe there are swordsmiths all over the world who make relative quality katana's nowadays. Of course they are easy beaten by the real Japanse stuff but who can pay that, and better: who can find a Japanese swordsmith that wil make a Katana in the traditional way, for an outsider...

Regards, Wim
                Freedom is not for Free

Comment

This is the American that I meant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWjJyHaXFyk

Also keep in mind that it demands some trained skills if you want to do hacking work with a katana. I give up after one lesson. It's so technical and demand a lot of exercise. I'll stick with normal martial arts.
                  Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Originally posted by Wim Vangossum View Post
                    This is the American that I meant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWjJyHaXFyk

Also keep in mind that it demands some trained skills if you want to do hacking work with a katana. I give up after one lesson. It's so technical and demand a lot of exercise. I'll stick with normal martial arts.
                    Thanks mate,
                    Alf

Comment

I have to say what I am sure lots of people are think
                      Why would you want a copy or fake Japanese sword?
                      Especially if the figure of €800 for a Chen one is correct
                      Save up and buy a real sword

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
                        I have to say what I am sure lots of people are think
                        Especially if the figure of €800 for a Chen one is correct
                        Save up and buy a real sword
                        I agree,and I am willing to pay 800 Euro for Chen. ...what is Chen. sorry for my ignorance.
                        Alf

Comment

Originally posted by mp409mm View Post
                          ...what is Chen... .
                          Paul Chen also known as Hanwei Swords. He sells swords for iaido here, as well as un-edged steel practice swords here.

I use Chinese-made "Japanese swords" that I received through "Nosyuiaido" back in 2009. The owner, Rick Polland, was working with a company in Seki City, Japan, who were coordinating between Japan and China to get the right combination of martial-arts-quality swords. The blades were made by Chinese under Japanese supervision, and the furniture was made in Japan and shipped to China; there, the pieces were "married" together then shipped to the US.

Nosyuiaido is now called Swordstore and you can still special order "steel iaito" from Rick.

The only "downside" to these types of Chines/Japanese swords is that you cannot remove the handle without voiding the warranty. Really, there is no need to remove the handle for these "martial arts quality" swords. But if you did, you can still fit everything back together. They "cheat" by inserting wooden shims with the tang since the handles are pre-made.

I've had mine for 15 years or so and they still perform as intended (test cutting as well).

With that said, I do not know the quality of Paul Chen swords. I have the impression they are very well made. Actually, the person who made the swords for Nosyuiaido used to work for Paul Chen, so I've heard.

Here is part of my second evaluation of the swords:
                          Originally posted by ghp in 2009
                          (p. 2)

<style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Times; panose-1:2 0 5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-536870145 1107305727 0 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:Times; mso-no-proof:yes;} p.MsoFooter, li.MsoFooter, div.MsoFooter {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-link:"Footer Char"; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; tab-stops:center 3.0in right 6.0in; font-size:12.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:Times; mso-no-proof:yes;} span.FooterChar {mso-style-name:"Footer Char"; mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-locked:yes; mso-style-link:Footer; mso-ansi-font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-hansi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-no-proof:yes;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Times; mso-ascii-font-family:Times; mso-fareast-font-family:Times; mso-hansi-font-family:Times;} @page WordSection1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:45.0pt 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} --> </style> 5. Fifth target was a vertical pole about 1.14" (30mm) in diameter. Left and right kesagiri. The cuts were clean and no damage to the blade.

6. Still on the fifth target, I let my beginner student with no tameshigiri experience cut. He had a bad hasuji (blade angle-of-attack) and hit the bamboo at a 70<sup> o</sup> angle. The bamboo was cut about 1/3 of the way. The result of this improper angle caused the student to put excess weight on the blade, so much in fact that the cut bamboo was mashed-back at the entry cut. The blade bent about 5<sup> o</sup> left, and there was slight turning at the edge (about 1/128"). I bent the sword back to true (well, enough so that it fits the saya without any drag -- close enough without using straightening sticks -- which I don't have). The turning at the edge can be easily repaired at home. I do not consider this a flaw in craftsmanship, but include the results because it happened during the test.

7. Still on the fifth target. I cut the same bamboo, below where my student hit it. This was
                          1.144" (30mm) in diameter and had an inner wall of 0.248 (6mm). I was surprised because this was a joint -- and it cut cleanly through the thickest part of the bamboo. I always steer away from the joint because it is much denser and harder to cut. The cut was clean, and no damage to the blade.

8. My last target was 1.128" (28.6mm) diameter with 0.248" (6mm) walls. The cut was cleanand no damage to the blade.

The sword I tested handled well and cut cleanly with no damage to the blade, except for the time my student hit an a wrong angle.

After informing Rick of the above results, he tells me that this blade is still evolving. He just received a new shipment of "steel shinken" with the same specs, but having a bit better polish and much better balance. On the tameshigiri-yo [cutting use] this is due to a more refined (but not thinner) mune. This is accomplished on the iai-yo [kata use] with a wider and sometimes deeper hi that rises towards the monouchi ever so slightly.
                          Cheers,
                          --Guy
                          Last edited by GHP; 11-03-2016, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
                            There's many different reasons why people want to buy a replica and that doesn't only apply to swords.

It will make more sense to list my reasons when my sword arrives and I can take photos. Btw, it was more like 300 dollars, not 800 euro which would be way too much to spend on a replica in my opinion. You can buy a decent Showato for that price.

Comment

Originally posted by mp409mm View Post
                              You are right and the worst part is that it is made in China, If I want a copy of Japanese Katana at least I want it made in Japan.
                              Alf, if you want a traditionally forged tamahagane blade made in Japan, expect to pay several thousands of dollars and a very long wait.

The reason why Chinese made blades are popular is because the forges out there (some of them anyway) can produce high quality blades forged in the same traditional methods as the Japanese but for a fraction of the cost and a relatively quick turn around.

Keep in mind that the Chinese have a very long history of making swords and the first Japanese swords were heavily influenced by them.
                              Last edited by BenVK; 11-04-2016, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X