IJA submarines -- any items out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IJA submarines -- any items out there?

In my endless quest to seek out the stranger IJA units that operated during the war, I came upon information about IJA submarine usage a few years back. I imagine that most of our community members have heard of such a thing, but just in case, here is a wiki page about the types of transport submarines used by the IJA:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_3...cle#Yu_II_type

Recently, I received information from a fellow community member about the IJA units that operated these submarines and their operational histories. It seems that most units operated around the Japanese home islands, with a few venturing out to Hachijojima and the Ogasawara islands (Chichijima/Iwo). There was a unit (maybe more?) that operated around the Philippines as well. It seems like they moved around officers, troops, tech. personnel, and even the remains of the dead. I believe one unit even transported IJN airplane mechanics at one point! (that must have been an awkward ride...). As to training, I think the IJA personnel were trained at the IJN diving/submarine school.

Long story short, I am wondering if anyone has in their collection items that point to such units: Any photos of IJA personnel sporting a submarine proficiency badge? From what I have been able to find out, there were nearly a dozen different unit codes that were connected to IJA submarine transport units. Unfortunately, the kanji wouldn't be so obvious as to say "submarine transport". All units were under Army Shipping Command. My knowledge about these units is rather limited, so being able to view any pics., documents, etc. related to these units is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Tom

i have in my possesion the uniform of a submarine engineer very basic if you want i take a pic and send it to your email

greetings

Comment

Thanks, Lorre, Pm sent.

Tom

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X