REGISTERED!! Type-95 NCO Gunto ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

REGISTERED!! Type-95 NCO Gunto ???

1. How is it possible to get a Sword Registration Card for something that is not traditionally forged?

2. Why would it command such a high price??? Currently: \348,333 (USD $3,400)

UNLESS .... The only thing I can think of is that this is a forged blade .... housed in Type-95 mounts.

Is this "one for the books"?
    Japanese auction.

NCO Gunto
    1 day left
    #bids: 116

Description:
    昭和10年制定. 陸軍九五式軍刀/初期型/刻印 148348/東京壽屋商店
    Established in 1935. Army Model 95 / early type / SN: 148348 / Tokyo Kotobuki-shop

Looks like it has an actual temper.

Type: Sword
    Length: 2-shaku 2-sun 1-bu (66.96786 cm // 26.36529 in.)
    Sori: 5-bu [1.5 cm // 0.596 in.]
    Mekugi-ana: 1
    Signature: 不明 Unknown [it does not say 無銘 "un-signed"]

Dream on compadres!

--Guy

I have encountered one NCO mount with a poorly mad hand forged blade. It is also possible that the registration is from another sword to deceive. I once heard that non traditional blades could be kept in Japan by their original owner. I do not know if this is fact or not. My brother-in-law in Japan wanted to give me an IJA officer sword in perfect condition that was like the day made. Unfortunately, I had to decline as I had no way to get it out of Japan as it hade no registration.

Comment

Hi Guy,

I'm not schooled in the documents focus but can't help but think it doesn't belong with that sword. If they had mounted a forged blade in a Type 95 mounts I doubt they would then serial number the blade.

Regards,
      Stu

Comment

and to my eye that's nothing more than a highly polished standard steel NCO sword blade.

Regards,
        Stu

Comment

Originally posted by Stu W View Post
          and to my eye that's nothing more than a highly polished standard steel NCO sword blade.

Regards,
          Stu
          Bob and Stu,

Thanks for your input. I'm embarassed to say that I didn't scroll down the auction page to see the larger images (sheesh .... too fast on the trigger, me!) -- I thought there were only the three images at the top.

Anyway -- even more so, now: something is definitely funny about that! I think Bob might be on to something when he said the registration card might not originally belong to that sword. And if it does .... we'll need to hire Sherlock Holmes to get to the bottom of this "adventure."

I just wonder why this NCO sword is commanding such a high price when the next one (officer's sword) -- in better-preserved koshirae -- and advertised as a "late Muromachi-era" 兼氏 Kaneuji blade, is going for about $1,500 right now. There are 5 days remaining, so I'm certain the price will increase.

Thanks again -- you guys are tops!

--Guy
          (I still can't believe someone would bid the equivalent of $3,000 for an NCO gunto!)

Comment

Scarcity.
            Since they are basically illegal, the few that are in Japan and "registered" command high prices among the few that collect them. Not like you can source one elsewhere if you are a collector in Japan. And there are indeed collectors in Japan with an interest in Gunto.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Robinson View Post
              Scarcity.
              Since they are basically illegal, the few that are in Japan and "registered" command high prices among the few that collect them. Not like you can source one elsewhere if you are a collector in Japan. And there are indeed collectors in Japan with an interest in Gunto.
              Thanks Brian, that makes sense.

--Guy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X