• Show
Clear All

Hi Ed ,

Thanks for the tip

Hope you had some good hunting at the SOS

Grant

Comment

Grant,

I picked up some more tidbits of information regarding Japanese orders and medals at the Show of Shows in Louisville, Kentucky last week. Specifically, a paper order box is older than a lacquer order box; silver colored kanji on an order box is older than gold colored kanji; campaign medals are not being reproduced; and the number of rivets on the backside of some of the higher orders were either reduced and/or eliminated sometime after World War II.

Eric

Comment

According to the Peterson book the enamel on pre 1910 orders is sunken and not pure white. He says it is yellowish but I have a pre 1910 3rd rising sun were the enamel is a little grayish. Also the pre 1910 Rising suns have wider grooves between the rays.

Peterson also states that pre 1910 Sacred Treasures have opaque orange-red jewels. He also states " The first badges had a mirror of rounded triangular points". Later badges had " the mirror with petal-shaped points". And " The present badges have a very rounded mirror with petal-shaped edges". I am definately noticing the mirrors more pronouned petals on the present day orders. Does any one else see this?
        Ed Maroli

Comment

Check out this site I found. http://www8.cao.go.jp/english/decoration/index.htmlIts an official Japanese goverment site. Note the Sacred treasures with the paulonia leaves?
          Ed

Comment

Ed,

Thanks for the information.

Peterson's book is the best reference book out there that I am aware of. However, I think the best way to learn about orders, medals, and/or awards, is to handle as many of them as you can and to talk to those folks that have the experience.

I know this thread has been a good one for me. If anyone else can add to this subject, please feel free to chip in.

Eric

Comment

I have heard that they have abolished the 7th and 8th classes of the Rising Sun and the Sacred Treasure. Does anyone else know about this?

Ed Maroli

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...520017034&rd=1

This is an original pre 1940 and most likely older 6th rising sun. It does not have the shortened arms making it a pre 1940 type. Also note the sunken rays of the white enamel and the gap between the arms. According to the Peterson book this would be pre 1910 style though I imagine that the old stock would have been used up first. Plus I don't know how accurate the pre 1910 date is? See how the Kanji is more round than square.
                Ed Maroli

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X