Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sword

Good day to all
    I need someone to please post some pics. of this sword that I have had since I was 8 years old. Thanks.

Good collecting
    Dennis J

Hi Dennis, if no one else has offered in the meantime, I would be happy to post them upon your behalf.

Send them to:

asummerof44@aol.com

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

I can too Dennis, sorry I didn't see your thread earlier!

eric

Comment

Here are the photos posted for Dennis J

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Very nice Naval Officers sword!

Kurt

Comment

Two more pics.
                Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

price

Thanks for all the help.Now I need to know what this sword is worth as I plan to sell it.I have been offered $1100 is that a fair price?

Good collecting
                    Dennis J

Comment

Dennis,

I am far from an authority of Japanese naval swords, and I'm sure you'll get other opinions, however, the price may or may not be a good one. What I mean is that most navy swords were machine made wartime blades. If yours is one of those, then yes, I think $1100 is perhaps on the high end of what these may bring. On the other hand, if the standard Imperial Navy mounts were added to a much older, handmade ancestral blade, then the $1100 price might be quite low. Someone who knows Japanese blades should examine the tang and make other judgements. But it is in nice shape and a beautiful sword!

Comment

Dennis-

It is difficult from your images to identify if your blade is hand made, antique hand made or mass produced. We can start with the easiest check which is the area of the cutting edge just above the habaki(the collar between the guard and the cutting edge of the blade). If the first inch is flat or not sharpened, it is 99.9% likely a war period blade. the habaki is a standard military style one and would usually indicate war time mass production. If that is the case, you have a very good offer as the scabbard is not in the best condition. If the edge is sharp to the habaki, it would be necessary for you to drive out the bamboo pin retaining the handle to the blade, remove the handle and photograph both sides of the tang, whether signed or unsigned. However, as I said, if the blade is flat in the first inch, don't bother.
                        Bob

Comment

sword

Good Bob.
                          The sword from top to bottom is very sharp.The bamboo peg is so tight that it is too hard to get out.I think I will just keep it.There is a helmet and flag that came with it the flag is big and the kind that has the rays on it.I have them packed away some where around here.I dont collect jap stuff I just picked the items up over the years because they were cheap at the time.I all so have some whats looks like ammo boxes that are made out of wood that I keep CDS in.Thanks for all the help.

Good collecting
                          Dennis J

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X