Shin Gunto and Flag Help ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shin Gunto and Flag Help ?

I would like to ask for thoughts and translation help on a Gunto that I picked up. I see a Seki stamp but was wondering who the smith may be.

The flag may be a hideous fake but someone took the time to translate it or that is fake too. The "ink" looks very suspect, thoughts?

Thanks
    Mike

I think GI embellished or similar, but definitely one of the prettier ones out there. Lots of slogans, random kanji, but no names that I can tell, for one thing, bar one near the naval air unit group.

Tom
    Last edited by GeorgeP; 10-21-2016, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Thanks Tom it does look like later ink of somesort and not done with a brush.
      I kind wish the writing was not on it and it was just a nice flag.

Comment

Swordsmith

[関] 長村清宣
        [Seki] Nagamura Kiyonori

長村 is usually pronounced Osamura, but not in this case.
        清宣 is also listed as "Kiyonobu."

Here's one of his that got papered.

--Guy

Comment

Thank you Guy

So this is a sword of "good" quality? Or since it is Seki stamped that it is not so good? Can seki swords get certified? I do wonder what the one in your link sold for when it was available.

I will research the information that you provided.

Many thanks
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mikson View Post
            Thank you Guy

So this is a sword of "good" quality? Or since it is Seki stamped that it is not so good? Can seki swords get certified? I do wonder what the one in your link sold for when it was available.

I will research the information that you provided.

Many thanks
            Mike
            The sword is an IJ Army Officer sword in what appears to be good condition from what you have shown. The value of any edged weapon is in the blade and if there is damage as yet unseen that will affect the value. It's a non tradionally made blade but still quite collectible as it's the iconic piece of Japanese militaria.

Value differs depending upon such factors as condition, location, scarcity etc. Yours, with combat/weather cover and tassel would command around 1K USD in the North America market at this time I believe.

Regards,
            Stu

Comment

You might find this linked page, and those adjacent to it, of interest.

http://www.japaneseswordindex.com/showato.htm

Regards,
              Stu

Comment

Thanks Stu

That helps a lot.. this sword is in good shape without any rust or other flaws.
                Good to know its approximate value. I do not have 1000 in this flag and sword combo... even if the flag is not worth anything.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeP View Post
                  I think GI embellished or similar, but definitely one of the prettier ones out there. Lots of slogans, random kanji, but no names that I can tell, for one thing, bar one near the naval air unit group.

Tom
                  Yes, flag is completely fake.

Comment

Nice sword!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X