WWII Soerabaja Katana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WWII Soerabaja Katana

Hi, I found this WWII Soerabaja Katana( the bug is setting in ) and I wish some advice about it.
    First what is different this WWII Soerabaja Katana from the rest like the one I bought and the condition is not so good, especially the blade there seems no Hamon and it look scratched. the end of the hilt is different too.
    Thank you for any feed back
    Alf.
    Attached Files

More photos:
    Attached Files

Comment

Sorry it looks like a post war copy or fake

Comment

May we see a photo of the nakago

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
          May we see a photo of the nakago
          Here it is.
          Alf
          Attached Files

Comment

That's a different sword

Comment

That's a different sword
              Sorry Yes you are right that is another I was looking.

This one I do not have photo of the nakago that is the dealer didn't put a photo of it.

Alf

Comment

Yowcha! That's a Tough Read!

THAT's a tough one to read! It looks like it could be ???????

伐正義厚
                or
                仂正義原
                [I've tried multiple times interchanging 伐 / 仂, 正 / 心, and 厚 / 原 to no avail]

I cannot find any swordsmith named Yohshiatsu or Yoshiwara -- maybe an idea or two from our panel of experts might be posited?

--Guy

Comment

That's a different sword
                  Ahhhh .... now I see it: different tsuba.

--Guy

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
                    THAT's a tough one to read! It looks like it could be ???????

伐正義厚
                    or
                    仂正義原
                    [I've tried multiple times interchanging 伐 / 仂, 正 / 心, and 厚 / 原 to no avail]

I cannot find any swordsmith named Yohshiatsu or Yoshiwara -- maybe an idea or two from our panel of experts might be posited?

--Guy
                    Thanks, No wonder I could not make any progress and sence ..
                    Alf

Comment

I don't like the sword I believe it's for sale on a dealers site for €800??
                      These are often advertised as last ditch swords

Comment

Duplicate post

Comment

Alf,

Of the 2 swords, the one showing the nakago looks better without even seeing the blade! Of course, the blade may be bad, but if it's a decent blade, the one showing the nakago has an legit Army tsuba (hand guard) where the first one has a very cheaply made one. The nakago looks old and legit as well.

The first one falls into the category of great debate. There were so many post-war fakes made by various countries. HOWEVER, there actually WERE late-war swords, and "last-ditch" swords, so sometimes it's hard to tell the difference. In BOTH cases, though, the swords are poor quality as well as the metal fittings, and not worth much money to collectors. If I had one that I felt sure was legit, I still wouldn't want it (though it's place in history has some merit for respect) because of the low quality, and I certainly wouldn't pay more than $100-150 USD.

Comment

Originally posted by BruceP View Post
                            Alf,

Of the 2 swords, the one showing the nakago looks better without even seeing the blade! Of course, the blade may be bad, but if it's a decent blade, the one showing the nakago has an legit Army tsuba (hand guard) where the first one has a very cheaply made one. The nakago looks old and legit as well.

The first one falls into the category of great debate. There were so many post-war fakes made by various countries. HOWEVER, there actually WERE late-war swords, and "last-ditch" swords, so sometimes it's hard to tell the difference. In BOTH cases, though, the swords are poor quality as well as the metal fittings, and not worth much money to collectors. If I had one that I felt sure was legit, I still wouldn't want it (though it's place in history has some merit for respect) because of the low quality, and I certainly wouldn't pay more than $100-150 USD.
                            Thank you BruceP, for your advice which I agree 100%, the way you explained it I can look at the swords differently and more with caution and learn for future Swords.
                            As a matter of fact the dealer didn't show the nakago of the sword when in others swords he always showed it, I think that is an indication that he has something to hide. Again thank you for your help.
                            Alf.

Comment

From a few examples I have seen, "those" swords have a very ugly looking tang. Frankly, I don't believe those are Japanese smith made blades.

I can understand why the seller doesn't want to show the tang, because it will hurt the business. But, who's buying a Japanese sword without asking to see the tang?!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X