X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attached Files

Comment

Sweet

Don't know much about these but what an incrediblely complete piece. Would make an impressive display. If the price is right.....

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

This more or less looks to me to be just a display piece for a couple of reasons:

1. Main give away is the laquer covered plastered slats. The slats were made of wood,metal or bamboo.

2. The inside of the helmet the lining appears to have been sewn with a machine. And if the lining is leather, looks to good, never sat on top of a head.

3. My wife visited Japan several years ago and visited a doll shop/factory the had full sized armour for display during "boys day" festivals (almost bought one, couldn't see spending 1k one one)

4. There appears to be more machine sewing and the one picture with the Kanji appears to be modern

5. The sheet metal work is just too good to be older than 20th century.

It could be a wearable piece as they have these for festivals and such.

Hope this helps

Comment

Comment

OOPs didn't know you were still posting.

The case with it's plaster covered laquer is is lkike body filler on a car, it's to give a smooth finish to a rough surface, instead of sanding fine wood and hand laquering it.

I suspect it's from the 20/30's Japan was going through a depression as when but was still "keeping up appearances" and all. Looking at the shoes and the helmet it was never worn.

As to a price I don't really know, perhaps $500.00 - 1,500.00 depends how badly someone wants a display piece and not a genuine period armour.

Comment

Thanks Charlie .....

Comment

Armor is still made today in Japan. Due to the nature of the constuction with the silk tape, older armor with original lacing is quite rare. The style of armor is called O-Yoroi or great armor. It was orignially worn in the 11th and 12th centuries. This armor is definitely a copy of this style and I would datge it from the 1920's or 30's. It is fairly well made but lackes the character of older work.

Bob

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X