Tanker Goggles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tanker Goggles

I picked up this pair of tanker goggles recently and thought I would post some photos of the goggles on the forum.

This is the third such pair of goggles I have had over the years, but the first such pair with clear lenses. (The plastic between the lenses on the other two pair of goggles I owned crystallized.)

I can not tell if these goggles have plastic between the lenses. When I put index finger on one side of the lens and my thumb on the other side of the lens, I can move the lenses back and forth a little bit.

I have seen two additional pairs of goggles with clear lenses. One pair belongs to a fellow board member and one pair is in a private collection in Japan. Interestingly enough, both pairs have the original boxes with the goggles.

Here is the first of nine photos...
    Attached Files

Here is photo 2 of 9...

Comment

Photo 3 of 9...
      Attached Files

Comment

Photo 4 of 9...

Comment

Photo 5 of 9...

Comment

Photo 6 of 9...

Comment

Here is what the goggles look like on a summer tanker helmet (photo 7 of 9)...

Comment

Here is a side photo of the helmet and goggles (photo 8 of 9)...

Note: Helmet is the later type without the goggle retaining straps.

Comment

And finally, photo 9 of 9...

Comment

Hi Eric,
                    Congratulations, very nice and rare pair of goggles.
                    Does it have any markings, even on the box ? What model is it in comparison with the other (certainly more common) cloth type comming with a leather carrying case ?
                    Phil.

Comment

oups sorry !
                      Forgot to ask you another question, what is the date inside your tanker helmet, mine is dated "showa 19 " : 1944 i think ?
                      Regards
                      Philippe

Comment

Eric,

That is a really nice helmet and goggle setup. You really do have some supper stuff.

Phil

Comment

Philippe,<!-- / message -->

Thanks!

In answer to you questions...

Question 1) Do the goggles and box have any markings?

Answer 1) I could not find any markings on the goggles and I believe the other two pair of goggles that I had were unmarked as well. The two boxes that I have seen were both marked "tank goggles" in kanji or something along those lines.

Question 2) What model are the tanker goggles in comparison to the other (certainly more common) cloth type of goggles with leather carrying case?

Answer 2) I assume you are referring to the dust-proof goggles that typically come with the small leather carrying case. If so, there are no model numbers associated with either set of goggles per se that I am aware of. The goggles are just referred to as "dust-proof goggles" and "tank goggles." The dust-proof goggles were typically used by motorcycle drivers, truck drivers, etc. although a friend did tell me that he saw a photo of a tank driver wearing a set of dust-proof goggles. (I was told the tank diver had his soft field cap on backwards and was wearing dust-proof goggles while driving the tank.)

Question 3) What is the date inside your tank helmet?

Answer 3) The procurement depot stamping on the helmet in the photos was smudged when the stamping was applied to the interior of the helmet. However, it looks like the date is Showa 16 (i.e., 1941).

Eric

Comment

Phil,

Thanks! I picked up the helmet a few years ago and was fortunate to be just offered the set of goggles shown in the photos above.

Eric

Originally posted by LToms
                            Eric,

That is a really nice helmet and goggle setup. You really do have some supper stuff.

Phil

Comment

Very Nice and Rare!!!

Regards,

Ricardo.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X