Lakesidetrader

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unknown Roll of Foil and Fabric Ribbon - huh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unknown Roll of Foil and Fabric Ribbon - huh?

Well...this is odd...

I got this from a vet estate. It was in a trunk of Japanese Navy items that were sent back in 1945. The trunk had not been opened until now.

These were around 6 of these rolls, packed into their original box. No markings on the box at all.

First length is fabric...the rest is foil (?)...

Any thoughts here?

TIA

Mike
    Attached Files

Strange. I suppose that, at least to my untrained eye, these items could have been taken from anywhere. Folks were going into all sorts of facilities and taking as souvenirs all sorts of stuff after occupation. Just thinking about the occupied naval bases alone, the still intact factories, etc., etc. Without any markings on the box, it makes it even more of a mystery. Hopefully others might have better insight.

Can you share with us what other things were found in the trunk?

Tom

Comment

Just a guess but I have heard of similar material called "Chaff" which was dumped from aircraft to interfere with Radar equipment Wiki has more info.there is also a possibility it could be used as antenna material?? Just some avenues to hunt for clues.Regards,Geoff

Comment

I was thinking chaff as well. Used to confuse radar.

PG-

Comment

Like a new year serpentine.

Comment

I am going to agree with Geoff and say that I believe this is radar jamming foil. The cloth runner before the foil was a little heavier than the foil so this would give the roll weight when deployed from the aircraft and would fall to earth unrolling before the foil was let loose. I have seen some of the exact same boxes with small drag chutes on the ends to slow the descent of the foil giving it the chance to unroll and thus deploy jamming the radar..

I have some pictures but can't post attachments... I apologize..

Leigh

Comment

hey guys!

that was my original thought...but having never seen one before to reference, I did not want to conclude that...

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd...

I fond a pic of some online!

YUP!

You guys are correct!

It looks identical to the US types...

All US ones I have seen in the box however, have a chute attached.

Suspect this was the Japanese version, as they copied most of the US stuff.

Last edited by harrison987; 09-23-2016, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X