Dad's Mantetsu Re-build Complete!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dad's Mantetsu Re-build Complete!

(Apologies to those who prowl Nihonto Message Board - same post!)

Just excited to share my progress re-building my Dad's Mantetsu Koa Isshin. When I got it, it was missing several parts. Over the past 2 years, today being the final part (a saya-jiri, thanks to Kurt Knabbe "Obiwanknabbe"), I've gotten items from here and yon to get it back together. The spriing is missing on the saya latch and there's no screw in the saya-jiri, but I'll call it done!

Just waiting my turn on the wait-list to get it polished.
    Attached Files

True homage to your father - nice one fella.

Comment

A very worthy project!

Question - are saya-jiri just a push fit or they glued on?

Comment

Thanks Kevin! While he joined the Marines after Korea (1955), he was a scrapper, and would have fought had the timing been right. He grew up being beaten by a step-father who only stopped after Dad stuck a kitchen knife in his gut (age 13 at the time). The guy lived, but Dad was done.

Credits the Marines for saving his life. He lied about his age to join, at 16. They booted him out when Korea started (have the carbon copy his CO sent to his mom), and told him to come back when he turned 18. I was just born when he re-enlisted at 20, in 1955, and he served until he made SSgt, and had his 3rd boy. In the '50s, it starvation wages for a family of 5 on SSgt pay, so he got out and was a roofer the rest of my childhood. Wish I had asked how he got the Mantetsu; probably in a poker game!

Here's a better collage (I'm just learning how to make them!)
        Attached Files

Comment

Very nice!

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by BenVK View Post
            A very worthy project!

Question - are saya-jiri just a push fit or they glued on?
            Ben, this is the first one I've ever worked on, but it slid snugly onto the tip of the saya. There is a screw hole, but I'm missing the screw. It's tight enough that it won't slide off easily.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X