MilitariaPlaza

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crazy story of the week: Finding Yamamoto's tooth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crazy story of the week: Finding Yamamoto's tooth?

Here is an unusual article for you:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...918-story.html

Thoughts?

Tom

Good story, thanks!

Comment

He is spending his own money to fund the expeditions and subsequent research to establish whether this could be Yamamoto's tooth, plus he indicates his intention to return it to the Japanese Government, so I think it is a reasonable thing.

If he just wanted it as a ghoulish trophy, I'd be sceptical. Trophies which are effectively made from body parts, come close to the macabre practices which occurred following the Indian massacres and will always be extremely distasteful.

Comment

Crazy Story....

Tom-
        I tried pulling up the link and received the message, "Unable to open-Protected by Netgear Firewall". Hopefully it's just my system that is blocking access.

Best,

MikeB

Comment

I doubt its Yamamoto's tooth.

Comment

According to one source, "his body was found strapped in his seat. He had been hit by two bullets which killed him. His sword, a kaigunto, was with him. It was given to him by his elder brother and has a blade by the Showa period swordsmith Amada Sadayoshi, of Niigata" - now I'd like to find that rather than a tooth.
            (Shokan, Hirohito's Samurai, 1991, p.304, Fuller, R.)

Comment

Sorry about the troubles, Mike. Maybe if you go directly to the Tribune site via Google, etc., it might be accessible from there.

Amazing to think that such a thing would still be found after all of these years and with all of the various folks who have made the trek out to the wreck. I would think a mighty slim chance of a direct connection to Yamamoto, but I suppose stranger things have happened. And I agree, Beater, I would prefer to find his sword as well.

Tom

Comment

Portillos!

That was my favorite when living in Chicago area.

Interesting article to see 'Mr. Portillo' is a collector.
                ------------------------------------------------
                Collector of French ww2-era insignia.

Comment

Sorry can't stop thinking of that episode of red dwarf with general Patton's sinus fluid lol.Good article though.

Sent from my victara using Tapatalk

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X