• Time
  • Show
Clear All

help with signature

Hello Guys,
    Your help is appreciated click on image for correct position of the nakago
    thanks,

Luis-
    This blade is signed by one of the Kinmichi group who worked multiple generations during the Edo period. I can not make out the first two characters of the mei which designates part of his title. ? ? no Kami Kinmichi. If you can bet a crisper picture of the kanji we can likely further define which Kinmichi this is.

Comment

Thanks Bob I Will try to get better pictures.By the overall look of the Nakago I believe it's a very old sword..

Comment

Originally posted by Luis22 View Post
        Thanks Bob I Will try to get better pictures.By the overall look of the Nakago I believe it's a very old sword..
        All depends on what you consider old. As I stated, this group worked throughout the Edo period mid 17th c. to 19th c. in Kyoto. There are several different variations of the title most being Iga no Kami. Is their anything on the reverse of the nakago? Better pictures will help define if it is gimei or not.

Comment

Looks like this to me on my tiny iPhone:
          陸奥の守大道

--Guy

Comment

Isn't this - Mutsu no kami Daido?

The character for Dai is clear and whilst having a "roof", like Kin, is clearly not the same.
            The character "Do" 道 is identical to Michi "道". Only the pronunciations are different. The former is Chinese and the latter is Japanese. Some people believe that Dai Do and Seki Kanemichi are the same person.

Early name is Kanemichi, changed to “O”Kanemichi when he received the “O” or “Dai” kanji from the Emperor Ogimachi. Later he called himself “Daido” and then received the title of “Mutsu No Kami” in Tensho 2. It is also believed that he was the personal swordsmith to Oda Nobunaga.

I'm not saying it's correct though.
            Last edited by Beater; 09-15-2016, 06:20 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Coleman View Post
              All depends on what you consider old. As I stated, this group worked throughout the Edo period mid 17th c. to 19th c. in Kyoto. There are several different variations of the title most being Iga no Kami. Is their anything on the reverse of the nakago? Better pictures will help define if it is gimei or not.
              Understood.Thanks!

Comment

Scabbard

Interesting gunto scabbard. Might be the light, can we see it as well?

Comment

Compare Signature With:

For comparison, here's a Mutsu no Kami Daidō selling for about $4,600:

陸奥守大道

Source

--Guy

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Flanagan View Post
                    Interesting gunto scabbard. Might be the light, can we see it as well?
                    This sword is currently on auction site with 2 days to go and low current bid. Large pictures too. The scabbard looks like wood.

I'm posting this to annoy those don't want me to. A link will be available but depends.
                    Last edited by oldhonda; 09-15-2016, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beater View Post
                      Isn't this - Mutsu no kami Daido?

The character for Dai is clear and whilst having a "roof", like Kin, is clearly not the same.
                      The character "Do" 道 is identical to Michi "道". Only the pronunciations are different. The former is Chinese and the latter is Japanese. Some people believe that Dai Do and Seki Kanemichi are the same person.

Early name is Kanemichi, changed to “O”Kanemichi when he received the “O” or “Dai” kanji from the Emperor Ogimachi. Later he called himself “Daido” and then received the title of “Mutsu No Kami” in Tensho 2. It is also believed that he was the personal swordsmith to Oda Nobunaga.

I'm not saying it's correct though.

Comment

Gimei
                        Poorly cut attempt at a genuine mei

Comment

Originally posted by oldhonda View Post
                          This sword is currently on auction site with 2 days to go and low current bid. Large pictures too. The scabbard looks like wood.

I'm posting this to annoy those don't want me to. A link will be available but depends.
                          ?

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
                            Gimei
                            Poorly cut attempt at a genuine mei
                            Possibly right, still a genuine hand forged sword..the issue with the signature is confusing I read that swords-smiths had apprentices and they would sign the sword too ,,,

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X