No announcement yet.

Iwo Jima bringbacks from my late grandfather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you, all, for the info. and replies. It was a joy and privilege listening to Ivan's war stories while growing up, and getting to see the tangible reminders of his time on Iwo through the souvenirs he brought back. It was amazing to hear how many different times grandpa could have died on Iwo Jima while there. One such episode involved him investigating a Japanese blockhouse that contained boxes of artillery shells. According to grandpa, he walked down wooden steps into this space that had artillery shells and uniforms strewn about the room. After investigating the room, grandpa turned around to go back up the steps, only to see that under each of the steps were two Japanese grenades, one at each end of the steps, ready to detonate once pressure was placed on their tops. Fortunately for him, for whatever miraculous reason, the grenades did not detonate, and he was able to escape unharmed. An amazing life, to say the least.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeP View Post
      The last picture is a battle damaged Japanese helmet with camouflage netting over the top. According to my grandpa, he was walking toward the front with a few other soldiers when he heard a shot ring out. He saw a Marine atop a nearby bluff who said that a Japanese soldier near a cave entrance was training his rifle on the walking group. The Marine shot at the soldier, who fled back into the cave. When grandpa investigated later, he found the helmet with the bullet hole through the front and out the top. Upon inspection of the interior of the helmet, one can see the bullet has grazed one the leather pads, and the force of the impact popped one of the exterior pins holding the liner in place. Interesting to note, the netting looks to be taken from the one of the body nets that the IJA used. I believe this was tucked into the inside of the helmet at the time of capture and was not being used. As I have stated before, I am hoping to showcase these as well as other bringbacks from Iwo Jima next year at the SOS. Thank you for looking.

Tom

Wow! A significant piece. I also owned Scott’s body net helmet at one time. The screwpine leaves tied to the net on yours are rarely seen. First time I’ve seen one with this from Iwo Jima. Others I’ve seen are from Okinawa. Screwpine grew in both places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by NARVIK1940; 08-11-2018, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Nice to see these wonderful mementos again!

Regards

Russ

Comment

Outstanding relics! Thank you for posting!

Comment

I have the utmost respect for those brave men who fought on Iwo like your grandfather. I have a few items that I acquired over the years brought back from Iwo Jima. I treasure them.

Comment

Tom, Super items with even amazing history...thank you for sharing

Comment

Here is a thread showing other helmets and a cover with similar use of vegetation.

https://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/for...d.php?t=743651

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X