Help with another Japanese blade. Thanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with another Japanese blade. Thanks

This is an interesting Japanese blade and I would appreciate any information anyone can offer. It appears to have been cut down, possibly loosing part of the signature. It also looks like a second mekugi-ana has been filled.

Thanks for any help.

Andy
    Attached Files

Andy, looks really old! The first thing guys will need is pics of the overall blade (shape matters), blade tip closeup, and closeup of blade showing temper line and any surface texture. It's all part of identifying era and sometimes a smith.

Comment

Looks to have 3 mekugiana and one is filled.

Comment

Could be 宗久 Munehisa? Guy or one of the fluent readers may be able to suggest - I struggle with complete kanji so guessing what is no longer visible blows my mind!

Although the second kanji is worn / incomplete and there may have been more below at some previous time before shortening, I suspect as this is not the usual province or title preceding a family name, that this was probably just a two character signature, so typically Koto.

If that is the case, these can be hard to pin down. There are certainly smiths of that name from Bungo and Bishu. Perhaps when we see the entire sword it may be possible to make some educated guesses but this is very speculative unless you are a real expert.

As Bruce has already suggested, you have an old sword there.

Comment

Originally posted by Beater View Post
          Could be 宗久 Munehisa? Guy or one of the fluent readers may be able to suggest - I struggle with complete kanji so guessing what is no longer visible blows my mind!....
          That was I was just going to say -- 宗久 Munehisa.

--Guy

Comment

Another photo

Overall view of the blade. Thanks
            Attached Files

Comment

The tsuba and handle. As always, everyone's help is much appreciated.
              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X