Translation help on a flag please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Translation help on a flag please!

This was brought back from Luzon by a friend's dad. Any help translating it would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Files

No personal name or 'Mr' for the apparent recipient. All inscriptions seem to be in the same hand. Looks fake to me.

Comment

Originally posted by imperialjapan View Post
      No personal name or 'Mr' for the apparent recipient. All inscriptions seem to be in the same hand. Looks fake to me.
      I agree with Rich. I don't like this -- and I doubt it is military related.

[I edited out "done by non-Japanese." Quick readers might have seen it; I've deleted it. The more I look at this flag, the more I think it WAS written by a Japanese, or perhaps Chinese/Korean familiar with Japanese] .... ANYWAY -- the messages don't make sense to me.]

Given to Mr. & Mrs. Ito [with some kanji repeated elsewhere on the flag .... location in Manchuria?]

Right margin:
      安藤順須満?夫婦殿
      Ando ...... Fuufu-dono
      Mr. & Mrs Ando.

順須満 is repeated at the top of the flag
      ====

Upper right:
      [dunno if I'm reading this backward or forwards]
      度路四
      馬伐
      礼路
      皆々様へ

Minamina sama e [to everybody]

=====
      Lower left:
      伊出須
      Ide Jun [surname and male given name. Lots of 須 on this flag!

大口本
      Ooguchi Hon
      [Ooguchi Books]

栃木市にて
      Tochigi-shi ni te [in Tochigi City]

--Guy
      Last edited by GHP; 09-02-2016, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Guy, a valiant effort for what is almost certainly a made-up piece, by Japanese or whoever.
        ご苦労様でした!Your efforts are appreciated!

Comment

Could this have been done as a souvenir piece for American forces in the Philippines? The current owner (grandson of an American WW2 vet) was told the bottom darker characters were "Dayton, Ohio" which is odd.

Comment

Originally posted by MattS View Post
            Could this have been done as a souvenir piece for American forces in the Philippines? The current owner (grandson of an American WW2 vet) was told the bottom darker characters were "Dayton, Ohio" which is odd.
            Hi MattS;

That seems plausable now -- there are some katakana that I mistook for "good morning" [オハヨウ; ohayō]:

オハヤウ
            Ohayau

It looks now to be OHIO. Phonetic standardization changed after the war. Before then, this might have meant Ohio. Today it is this:
            オハイオ Ohaio [Ohio]. I'll try copying the kanji above to see if they are "ate-ji" -- kanji sounds to mimic a foreign name.

--Guy

Comment

The kanji just above "OHIO" appears to be a woman's given name (I found many examples on a google search)

勢利奈
              Zeirina

Is there a Salina in Ohio?

Celina.

Okay .... not so confused now. Well ... yes I am.

So this Mr. & Mrs Ando were perhaps going to Celina, Ohio?

========
              [Hey! By just saying their name to myself I unlocked one of the mystery kanji .... sheesh! It is "Go" meaning "honored" (go-Fusai = mr. & mrs.] I say it all the time and didn't recognize it. I still don't recognize those other kanji!

安藤順須満夫妻殿
              Ando Junzoman Go-Fusai Dono
              Mr. & Mrs. Ando Junzoman

I guess "Junzoman" is a given name; though, I can't get a google hit for it.
              I originally mis-read "fusai" [Mr. & Mrs.] earlier as "fufuu" [another way of saying married couple]. Should be "fusai."

--Guy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X