silk rising sun flag 16 rays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

silk rising sun flag 16 rays

hello, any help greatly appreciated: I have a grouping that belonged to sailor who was a souvenir gatherer- he served aboard the USS Dortch DD-670- among the items he gathered were a couple of bits of silk scarf from shot down planes and captured airmen and a rising sun flag- he does not say where he picked it up but it measures approximately 27" X 35"-there are no corner tabs or strings attached to it- is it possible he got this off of one of the many prisoners they took or would this be a civilian flag picked up in the occupation portion of the trip. I cannot post photos unfortunately as I don't have that privilege.

HI Odin,

The easiest answer is that it could be either. You would have to look at the flag itself for further clues, and you may be never be able to tell for sure. A flag of that size would be considered a personal flag. Personal flags are often signed by family and friends and then carried into service. Unsigned flags were carried by soldiers as well. I have flags that are signed and unsigned, both captured in battle and taken in post war occupation. Without the vets account, it can be a difficult call.

PG-

Comment

Thank you for your response and information, I truly appreciate it. dave

Originally posted by Paul G View Post
      HI Odin,

The easiest answer is that it could be either. You would have to look at the flag itself for further clues, and you may be never be able to tell for sure. A flag of that size would be considered a personal flag. Personal flags are often signed by family and friends and then carried into service. Unsigned flags were carried by soldiers as well. I have flags that are signed and unsigned, both captured in battle and taken in post war occupation. Without the vets account, it can be a difficult call.

PG-

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X