Japanese Short Sword, Wakizaski

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Short Sword, Wakizaski

I bought this sword, dirt cheap today off an old man who thought it was a machete. It looks Japanese to me. Blade has a cutting edge of approx. 34 cm, and is 48 cm overall. Some of the mountings are missing and scabbard and handle is damaged. I have never seen a blade like this. Its very heavy and thick. The tip end is wider then the handle end. To me, it looks like a blade made to chop off a head.

Any info would help.

Thanks, Cliff
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

The handle had not been off for a long time. I was hoping to find a signature. The temper line really made me think "Japanese". Any ideas on age, type, ect?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Sorry for the misspelling. I believe its Wakizashi, not Wakizaski. I make it sound like a Polish sword...lol

Comment

Definitely Japanese

"Naginata unokubi-zukuri" -- a halberd-style blade. Dunno if this is a repurposed naginata or not.

source

Great purchase for "dirt cheap." I'm no expert -- but looks like it is worth restoring back to its original condition. Others can tell you the approximate date based on the color of the rust on the tang -- I'm thinking Edo period [which is a dodge since that covers over 200 years!].

--Guy

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
                        "Naginata unokubi-zukuri" -- a halberd-style blade. Dunno if this is a repurposed naginata or not.

source

Great purchase for "dirt cheap." I'm no expert -- but looks like it is worth restoring back to its original condition. Others can tell you the approximate date based on the color of the rust on the tang -- I'm thinking Edo period [which is a dodge since that covers over 200 years!].

--Guy

+1

Nice pick-up.

Regards,
                        Stu

Comment

Thanks for the help, and source info. I really cant tell if this was once a longer sword or cut down. Still have no idea of age but it does look hand forged.

Comment

I concur with the opinions that it is a re-purposed Naginata a Japanese type of pole arm as seen in this wood block print.Interesting piece! Regards,Geoff
                            Attached Files

Comment

I concur a naginata naoshi - formerly a naginata reworked to be a wakizashi. I would say Edo era too and believe it to be originally a much shorter naginata, more like those favoured by females, than the longer ones favoured by samurai and warrior monks. The clue being in where the hi terminates.
                              If you look at the article in the attached link, it helps you understand the shortening and reworking process.

http://new.uniquejapan.com/a-morokage-wakizashi/

Obviously it has lost its long tang, so the usual assistance we get from rust colour on the nakago is, in this case, unreliable.

Good pick-up. Well worth investing in some restorative work.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X