Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

opinion on Wakizashi sword

Just pick up the sword last week and would just like you opinion on it

it is sign by Hisakuni and is a lat Muromachi ear sword ( 1500 ) is what I was told.

still researching

I would like to thank everyone in advance for the opinion

Larry
    Attached Files

2 set of pictures

pictures
    Attached Files

Comment

3rd set

pictures
      Attached Files

Comment

4 th set

pictures
        Attached Files

Comment

last pictures

pictures

Thank you for looking--- and your opinions
          Attached Files

Comment

Comment

Hi
              Beautiful sword, wonderful condition
              I envy you!!!!!!!!!!!!
              Frank
              PS Id be interested to hear about the mon from more informed members'

Comment

Hisakuni is indeed how it is inscribed.

Would it be possible to photograph the entire blade and tang (minus all fittings) to see the Sugata (shape). Also, can you show the area where the temper line ends - probably under the habaki. It usually runs off the edge. This will help making an informed judgement on the information you have already been given.

Regards.

Comment

more pictures

Beater,

thanks for the tip on the Habahki, I am adding some pictures that you request and the paper work that I got on the sword.

thanks
                  Larry
                  Attached Files

Comment

more pictures

2 more
                    Attached Files

Comment

paper

I hope the paper work is readable
                      Attached Files

Comment

It looks to be an atomei

Comment

Larry,

Nick's comment, in case you are unsure, means that the signature is added by someone else without the sword smith's permission. Typically this occurs when an appraiser identifies the work of a particular smith on an unsigned sword and places the smith's mei on it. This was done by expert appraisers like the Honami family and they cut the name of the smith (and often their own) and inlaid it with gold. Perhaps you can ask Nick to explain his rationale - perhaps it is because of a rather awkward placing of the mei beside the mekugi-ana, or known examples from Hisakuni have more content and are of different stylised writing?

I'm afraid it is impossible for me to even think about trying to do make any judgement from photos - indeed I couldn't even if I had it in my hands! That requires experience and knowledge beyond that of anyone I know. What YOU can do however, is look at the sword and compare it against known features of work from the Uda School, which Hisakuni was associated.

I list below some features listed in an article by a noted sword scholar - Fred Weisberg. If you are unsure what the various nomenclature means, it is an excellent way to learn and any glossary of terms in a sword book will explain. Be encouraged, because the first mention of Muromachi says they have shallow sori and even I can see yours does! Here goes:

Early blades will show some Yamato characteristics. Later blades will be more typical of the Muromachi Era with a shallow sori tending towards saki sori. Generally the katana will be shinogi-zukuri, iori mune with a fairly high shinogi. They made many tanto in a variety of shapes including hira-zukuri in normal length and sun nobi length, moroha- zukuri, and takenoko-zukuri . The kissaki will be a little longer than a normal chu-kissaki.

Jitetsu:
                          After the beginning of the Muromachi Era the jitetsu can be coarse and rough with mokume hada and masame hada mixed together. The individual grain of the steel will stand out distinctly and there are a few with shirakke utsuri. More often than not, the utsuri to be seen will be tsukare utsuri. There will be areas of o-hada.

Hamon:
                          The hamon, as a whole, with be of nie structure. Notare midare and gunome midare will be found and there will often be similarities to the Yamato Tegai and Yamato Shikkake schools. Like the Fujishima School, most hamon will be a combination of several schools including Bizen and Soshu. There will be abundant nie activities such as ashi, yo, nie hotsure, sunagashi, and kuchigaiba. The nie will be coarse and the hikari (reflective tendencies) will be strong. Occasionally a slight hitatsura temper will be found.

Boshi:
                          Generally ko-maru, hakikake, nie-kuzure, etc. A long kaeri will often be found. Sometimes it will continue into muneyaki.

Nakago: The length of the nakago will be short with the tip made broad and in a rounded kurijiri or ha-agari kurijiri shape. The nakago of tanto tends to be a little longer than other tanto of this time. The yasurimei will generally be yoko or kiri.
                          Horimono: Suken, bo-hi (single grooves), soe-hi, and futatsu-hi can occasionally be found.
                          Mei:
                          The first kanji character of the mei will generally always be รข"Kuni".

I hope you find that useful. The description which you posted mentions the hada and how it might be thought to be a flaw (kizu) but is a feature of the school. That is highlighted in the above features list, so should be another thing you are able to easily identify?

Regards,

Kevin.

Comment

Mei placement ,style ,size
                            guess it was attributed when the nakago was shortened to mount as a sword
                            As Kevin says very hard to judge the sword from the photos
                            Some close ups of the Boshi might help

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
                              ...guess it was attributed when the nakago was shortened to mount as a sword
                              Nick,

Are you getting Larry's sword mixed up with the other recently posted (naginata naoshi) which has certainly had the nakago shortened and converted into a wakizashi? I thought Larry's was Ubu - the hamon appears to turn down and run off the blade near the (worn) ha-machi, as you'd expect for an Ubu. Just seeking clarification in case I'm not seeing something.

I've not been able to find an example of Hisakuni's signature to compare yet but believe his usual content was Hisakuni Saku or Uda Hisakuni. If correct, this may support your ato-mei theory?
                              Last edited by Beater; 08-23-2016, 08:01 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X