Eye Test: Old Katana or WWII mash-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eye Test: Old Katana or WWII mash-up

Saw this on an auction site, what do you think? My first thought was poor WWII fake gunto. The kabuto-gane, if it's supposed to be WWII, is off, but it's better made than most fakes. The seppa looks WWII legit, though, but with civilian tsuba. The blade has a good look to it, but the habaki looks like a new replacement.

Then I noticed the double mekugi, therefore long nakago. I vaguely remember seeing some old katanas with kabu and other fittings that resembled WWII fittings (or should I say it the other way around!) and started to wonder if this is maybe something old.

Thoughts?
    https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item...word-1945-with

I have a feeling its postwar put together.
    I can only see one mekugi?
    Last edited by gunto; 08-20-2016, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Ah, I flunked the eye test! Looking closer the top one turns out to be a very large nodule of the ray skin!

Comment

Hi Bruce, to my eye it looks similar to this 1920/30's Tachi style sword.

http://www.icollector.com/Japanese-S...rtly_i21091507

Comment

Originally posted by BenVK View Post
          Hi Bruce, to my eye it looks similar to this 1920/30's Tachi style sword.

http://www.icollector.com/Japanese-S...rtly_i21091507
          I see what you mean, Ben, thanks!

Comment

It appears to be a modern blade mounted for sword practice. Many of these show up converted for military use. Likely oil tempered and not a traditional forged blade.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Coleman View Post
              It appears to be a modern blade mounted for sword practice. Many of these show up converted for military use. Likely oil tempered and not a traditional forged blade.
              Bob, thanks for the insight. So, if I'm hearing you right, an IJA soldier would use a blade such as this for practice so as not to damage his official gunto? The history is good to know, but I've also got a poor gunto that could have been used in this way, if that's what you are describing.

Comment

Originally posted by BruceP View Post
                Bob, thanks for the insight. So, if I'm hearing you right, an IJA soldier would use a blade such as this for practice so as not to damage his official gunto? The history is good to know, but I've also got a poor gunto that could have been used in this way, if that's what you are describing.
                Evidently, I was not clear. This type of sword was sold commercially to civilians who practiced the martial arts of drawing and exercising with a sword. When called up in to the military as an officer, it was not uncommon for owners of such swords to have them fitted with a leather field cover and used as their gunto in combat as they did have a sharpened edge.

Comment

Bob, thanks! I love learning the history! I appreciate your work here.

Comment

Hi Bruce,

I've just e-mailed you an article about civilian Showa swords carried by officers. Hope it's useful.

Kevin.

Comment

Originally posted by Beater View Post
                      Hi Bruce,

I've just e-mailed you an article about civilian Showa swords carried by officers. Hope it's useful.

Kevin.
                      Thanks Kevin! It was a good refresher. I suppose what was freaking me out most was the kabuto-gane
                      Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X