Yosegaki from Kwajalein

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yosegaki from Kwajalein

Here is another Yosegaki I recently came across that I thought I would share with the forum. This one was recovered from Kwajalein by a member of the 98th Anti-Aircraft Artillery Battalion. The owner still has the capture paper that goes with the flag (hopefully a photograph will follow soon).
    While the story goes it was taken at Kwajalein I'm not 100% certain and really haven't done any digging on it yet.
    I know the main slogan is pretty common "Everlasting Fortune in Battle" (thanks to the pinned thread!), if anyone notes anything else interesting such as the soldiers name, any location or whatever it would be very much appreciated. The nephew of the man who brought it home is very curious to learn as much about it as he can!

Eric
    Attached Files

The only location clue might be the long string of kanji at the 9 o'clock position next to the main buunchokyu slogan. Can't make it all out, but it looks like it might be a city/association official's signature and might give a clue as to where the soldier lived in Japan. There are a lot of Imai family signatures (今井) around the flag, so maybe the soldier this was presented to is also part of the Imai family. Hopefully others can glean more from it.

Super cool to think that it could have come from Kwajalein! Not a lot of stuff out there directly related to that battlefield.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeP View Post
      The only location clue might be the long string of kanji at the 9 o'clock position next to the main buunchokyu slogan. Can't make it all out, but it looks like it might be a city/association official's signature and might give a clue as to where the soldier lived in Japan. There are a lot of Imai family signatures (今井) around the flag, so maybe the soldier this was presented to is also part of the Imai family. Hopefully others can glean more from it.

Super cool to think that it could have come from Kwajalein! Not a lot of stuff out there directly related to that battlefield.

Tom
      Tom, that line appears to be the recipient's name (Imai Shichirou 今井七郎)followed by a patriotic slogan, most likely the same as the large slogan to the right. (The extra last kanji looks to be 'prayer' 祈.) Eric, yes, the Imai signatures appear to be family. If I got the recipient's name right, that would mean he is the 7th son.

Just to the left of that is '[signed by] big brother (兄) Shouichi.' So it doesn't appear to be a place name, too bad. However, a clear close-up would confirm it.

Comment

Good eye, Rich, thanks!

Tom

Comment

Once again, thank you very much guys! I'll see if I can get a better picture of the area Rich mentioned. It's just nice to be able to put a name to the flag.

Eric

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X