GermanMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any additional info or corrections please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any additional info or corrections please?

I'm after any further information you may have on this swordsmith please...

Signed: "Hizen kuni Masatsugu" and dated (I believe?) to a lucky day, August 1943. (2603 year from the foundation of the Empire.)

It is made by Taguchi Kiichi, born July 1904. Last known residence Karatsu-shi, Hachiman-cho. He made medium to high grade gendaito. He was taught by his father Taguchi Ichitaro and also studied under Kurihara Akihide and won many awards including Gold Medal at the 5th Nihonto Denrankai. In the 1941 Exhibition, he was placed in the 2nd Seat and in the Cutting Test Category, rated Saijo (Best). He worked as a Rikugun Jumei Tosho from 1941 to 1945. He is listed in Gendai Toko Meikan p.145 and in Slough's book p.106/7. He was rated as 1 million yen smith in Toko Taikan.

References:
    Marcus Sesko p.83
    John Slough p.106/7
    Hawley's MAS1165, 1135
    Nihonto Meikan NMK865
    Toko Taikan TK563.

Interesting hamon with lots of tiny crab-claws contained within it - less Hizen and more Bizen than you'd typically expect. Perhaps an influence of Akihide?

This photo shows the crab-claws in the hamon a bit better.

Comment

Gee -- It sounds like you already have all the available info about Masatsugu. I couldn't find anything that you don't already know.

--Guy

Comment

Kevin, you have a knack for finding truly beautiful pieces! Still undecided about the rack, though!

Info? You had me beat on the first line!

Comment

Originally posted by BruceP View Post
          Still undecided about the rack, though!
          That's you and my wife who says it's hideous. It lives in the loft and is only allowed out for photo shoots.

Comment

I like the rack but maybe with a black lacquer base..... would present better?

Comment

Originally posted by Beater View Post
              That's you and my wife who says it's hideous. It lives in the loft and is only allowed out for photo shoots.
              My wife uses the antlers to make curtain holders. She cuts them up and drills them to boards, but a lot better use out of them than sitting in a box in the garage.

Nice looking sword btw.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X