Japanese Surrender Tag ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Surrender Tag ???

I picked up this Model 1883 Naval Sword with an interesting wooden tag on it. Anyone no what it says ?

Thanks,
    Pat
    Attached Files

I'm away from my computer right now. First line on right is an address. Second line is the surname 久保 Kubo.

--Guy

Comment

日字町一組
      Hiu’chō Ichi-gumi
      Section 1, Hiu’chō
      [there's a Hi'ucho in Sasebo]

久保弥吉
      Kubo Yakichi

貮個
      Futatsu ko
      2Each

--Guy

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
        日字町一組
        Hiu’chō Ichi-gumi
        Section 1, Hiu’chō
        [there's a Hi'ucho in Sasebo]

久保弥吉
        Kubo Yakichi

貮個
        Futatsu ko
        2Each

--Guy
        As always - you are awesome !

So it is name, address, and noting that there are two pieces (sword and scabbard).

I have actually never got an item that had one of these on them before.

Regards,
        Pat

Comment

Originally posted by pdawg1911 View Post
          ...So it is name, address, and noting that there are two pieces (sword and scabbard).
          Pat,

Sounds to me like there were two swords.

--Guy

Comment

Guy, minor point, sorry, but I think the second kanji in the address is '宇'
            Your transcription of the reading is correct, though.

Comment

Originally posted by imperialjapan View Post
              Guy, minor point, sorry, but I think the second kanji in the address is '宇'
              Your transcription of the reading is correct, though.
              Thanks Rich! Doggone kanji!!! (^_____^)

My wife laughed at me for writing "futatsu ko" instead of the (correct) "ni ko" for 貮個. For those who have not studied Japanese, "futatsu" is the native-Japanese reading of the number (old style ) 2; "ni" is the Chinese reading.

--Guy

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
                Thanks Rich! Doggone kanji!!! (^_____^)

My wife laughed at me for writing "futatsu ko" instead of the (correct) "ni ko" for 貮個. For those who have not studied Japanese, "futatsu" is the native-Japanese reading of the number (old style ) 2; "ni" is the Chinese reading.

--Guy
                Well, it is nice that your wife even reads your posts! My wife gave up on that years ago. Whenever I have a question, she tells me to look it up online. LOL

Comment

Well, it is nice that your wife even reads your posts! My wife gave up on that years ago. Whenever I have a question, she tells me to look it up online. LOL

Yeah, mine tells me that as well .... then for laughs she looks at my "homework." Good thing she was a teacher! (Taught English in a Chiba Monbusho high school; then taught Japanese at graduate school ... she's tough!) Did I say she's TOUGH?

--Guy

--

Comment

BTW, for those interested, there are a variety of ways to ID kanji. One of the most useful is this site:
                    http://kanji.sljfaq.org

There you can transcribe the kanji with your mouse and see close matches. Then you can copy and paste into any online Eng/Japanese dictionary and try and piece things together.

Comment

BTW, for those interested, there are a variety of ways to ID kanji. One of the most useful is this site:
                      That blows away Google translate, thanks for sharing!

Tom

Comment

There you can transcribe the kanji with your mouse and see close matches. Then you can copy and paste into any online Eng/Japanese dictionary and try and piece things together.
                        Forgot to mention that you can change the options so that as soon as you get a match, it will enter it into your dictionary/research site of choice (from those listed). That eliminates the cut & paste step I mentioned above.

Guy, I found this site years ago because of the constant sighing of my wife when I asked her to ID a hard kanji! LOL

Comment

Guy, I found this site years ago because of the constant sighing of my wife when I asked her to ID a hard kanji! LOL
                          Thanks Rich! I've never seen this site before -- it's now in "Japanese" folder.

--Guy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X