Translation help urgently needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Translation help urgently needed!

I am currently in possession of a large grouping belonging to a C-47 pilot that flew in the china-burma-india theater as well as in Australia and New Guinea. Amongst his belongings was a small 8-1/2 by 11 paper Rising Sun flag and several Japanese letters that have been reported to me to be letters written by Soldier to his family in Japan. I've had these items for six months now and I've run into a dead end everywhere I've gone in an attempt to get them translated. I've been told that they are written in a form of Japanese cursive handwriting that hasn't been seen in nearly 70 years. If there is anybody on this forum that could assist me in translating these, I would be indescribably appreciative!!! I know that this post is photo heavy, and I apologize. I photographed the front and back of each letter/envelope. Thank you in advance for any assistance!

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

First of all, it is a heavy burden for even a native speaker to do what you ask for no compensation. I mean, a line or two I can understand, but such a large amount appears to be taking advantage of the generosity of people.

Second, if someone decides to spend hours of their time translating this for free, how do you expect him to be able to read a fuzzy pictures, sideways pictures, and upside-down pictures?

My advice is to hire a translation company.

BTW, this style of writing is still used by some people today, just not the majority of people. It is indeed difficult to read, all the more reason for you to pay someone for his labor.

Comment

Soldiers didn't use stamps (although sometimes a prepaid civilian card was sent by military post) the Army postal system was free for servicemen, postcards for other ranks and letters for officers. These have cancelled stamps which rules out a military origin.

At the time of the occupation of Burma and New Guinea (from 1941 on) unit codes would have been used as addresses for incoming mail and in the case of an outgoing letter, as a return address.

Rod

Comment

Originally posted by imperialjapan View Post
        First of all, it is a heavy burden for even a native speaker to do what you ask for no compensation. I mean, a line or two I can understand, but such a large amount appears to be taking advantage of the generosity of people.

Second, if someone decides to spend hours of their time translating this for free, how do you expect him to be able to read a fuzzy pictures, sideways pictures, and upside-down pictures?

My advice is to hire a translation company.

BTW, this style of writing is still used by some people today, just not the majority of people. It is indeed difficult to read, all the more reason for you to pay someone for his labor.
        I apologize for the "sideways and upside down" pictures. You'll just have to forgive me as I don't read, write or speak a lick of Japanese, much less 70 year old cursive, and have no idea which way is up, down or sideways. I wasn't meaning to take advantage of anyone's generosity...just appealing to that possessed by fellow, passionate collectors. Again, please forgive me if you don't fall into that category. I'm new to this forum and didn't realize that that members charged fees for their assistance in preserving history. Your passive-aggressive tongue lashing was a nice touch. If you have any other valuable suggestions for me, please, oh please do pass them along. I'll be the one sitting in WAF time-out.

Comment

After back home in a hour i take a look.

Comment

Originally posted by chen View Post
            After back home in a hour i take a look.
            Thank you for any help you can provide. I know its alot to translate, but even a little will offer some insight. Thanks again!

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I think these leaflets are written in Kanji but due to cursive writing so very hard to "imagine".
                        What I know I have shown.

Comment

' I'm new to this forum and didn't realize that that members charged fees for their assistance in preserving history. Your passive-aggressive tongue lashing was a nice touch. If you have any other valuable suggestions for me, please, oh please do pass them along. I'll be the one sitting in WAF time-out. '

Yes, of course, I am the one who is wrong. Sir (Madam), do the extensive work on your own. Are you interested in 'preserving history' as you claim? Then spend the time on your own or your own money on doing so. My 'passive-aggressive tongue lashing' was merely asking you to not wait for others to do work you can do yourself. Seriously, why would anyone spend hours translating all of the pictures you posted? For what end?

Again, the generous members here are happy to help collectors, but posting picture after picture hoping for free translations is really rude.

Don't do the Trump strategy and make it seem as if I were rude.

Comment

Cursive is still used.. its not something 70 years old and people forgot how to do it. I guess who ever told you just couldn't read it because it can be tricky sometimes. Chen got some of it, but like he said, it can be hard to understand.

Don't take it too rude from what imperialjapan said. It is a lot of stuff to translate and it does take time. Before uploading, make sure pictures are at least clear and not blurry! I can understand his position though, sometimes you help people, many times we don't get thanked, get blown off, or people think their item is worth a million dollars. I helped many and still try to, but I don't help dealers or who wants to profit of it (too many dealers with big egos and they want your free help and they end up making the money).

I know in schools here in the US stop teaching cursive. Very few teachers still teach it in the elementary schools, but only just for one of those free time things.

Comment

Originally posted by hc8mm View Post
                              Cursive is still used.. its not something 70 years old and people forgot how to do it. I guess who ever told you just couldn't read it because it can be tricky sometimes. Chen got some of it, but like he said, it can be hard to understand.

Don't take it too rude from what imperialjapan said. It is a lot of stuff to translate and it does take time. Before uploading, make sure pictures are at least clear and not blurry! I can understand his position though, sometimes you help people, many times we don't get thanked, get blown off, or people think their item is worth a million dollars. I helped many and still try to, but I don't help dealers or who wants to profit of it (too many dealers with big egos and they want your free help and they end up making the money).

I know in schools here in the US stop teaching cursive. Very few teachers still teach it in the elementary schools, but only just for one of those free time things.
                              I understand what you're saying. However imperialjapan's lecture was unnecessary. I'm a 54 year old grown adult and don't need to be lectured like a six year old. If he had bothered to read my entire post, he would have understood that all of my previous efforts at translation failed...including the language bank at the University of Nevada Reno. This forum was my last resort, and only then at the suggestion of a fellow member. I'm not a dealer and am not looking to turn these around for a quick buck. I'm a passionate collector and lover of all things history! How unassuming of imperialjapan to lump me into that category! After reviewing dozens of other requests for translation help on this forum, I guess I was the only one out of line. What must I have been thinking asking for the help of "experts?" I mean, clearly...how dare I?

Last edited by lawdog; 08-06-2016, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X