Canvas garrison belt ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canvas garrison belt ?

Hello, is this a good WW2 japanese belt ? Never seen in canvas, but in rubberised canvas yes. Thank you for your opinions.

Belt.

Nobody ?

Comment

You might want to check over at Gunboards.com There are several collectors who focus on Japanese belts, etc. It is in the Firearms of the Rising Sun sub forum.

Tom

Comment

I have made a study of Japanese equipment for quite a few years now. I have not seen anything similar in the market, collections, or in references, in terms of the cotton weave of your belt, as being Japanese.

I do note that the buckle is very similar to that of the standard infantry belt as are the apparent dimensions, but again I have not seen a belt with this type of closely woven material as being something particularly Japanese. It does appear to be somewhat similar to belts used on several nation's flight suits (though the buckle would be wrong for a Japanese flight suit belt as well as the weave of your belt being thicker). My specialty is infantry equipment so someone else might be able to tell if it is a marriage of different parts.

Many items were made during the last years of the War as home front expedients but most of the materials were substandard compared to what your belt exhibits. There is certainly a chance so I would also recommend sharing the pictures on the other forum as suggested.

Comment

This is just my opinion. I think Zak said it best, "a marriage of parts".

The buckle looks like a "dug" (from the ground) standard ammunition belt buckle, the leather keeper is junk and unlikely Japanese in origin, and the belt itself looks like new material with no visible maker or date marks.

It would have been nice to see more than two pics.

Rod

Comment

Hello mates,
            This belt is for sale on a french forum where my fellow Ir143 and I are members. Thoose are the best pictures the seller is wiling to share at the moment of my post.

I never see anything like this too and I believe this is a reconstruction / put together of a legit buckle with bogus parts. The big red flag to me is the lack of wear to the belt while the buckle seems heavily rusted.

As we never know with last ditch item for homefront or substitutes for local troopers trained by the japanese it was good to take more opinions from experienced collectors right here and I would like to thanks the few of you for helping us.

I think we just have to let the seller knows the bad new now. The belt came from Ciney, the biggest gun show over here.

Thanks again,
            Mathieu.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X