Unknown item worn around the neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unknown item worn around the neck?

Hi Guys, I was watched a documentary this evening which showed the Japanese victory parade in Singapore. The film showed a parade of tanks. The commander of each vehicle stood in the turret and around each of their necks they carried what appeared to be a box (sizes differed) wrapped in white cloth which was tied around the neck. What were these?

Cheers, Ade.

Bit of a guess but could it be that they are carrying the remains of fallen Japanese soldiers in the boxes. I've seen photos of these parades with people carrying boxes of remains but they've been pressessions on foot and back in Japan, hadn't seen it involving tanks before so it could be something different

Comment

Hi Tanaka, actually this is what I was thinking too but I was not 100% sure.

I had read or seen something about the ashes of the fallen being returned to Japan in small caskets.

Cheers, Ade.

P.S. If you would like me to post pics of your new sword upon your behalf I would be happy to help.

Comment

I agree with that. Most likely they were the remains of the Gotanda Tank Company lost at the battle of Bakri, Malaya, on January 18th 1942. They were cited for heroism in battle and therefore would have been given a place of special honor during the "victory" parade.

eric

Comment

glad i got something right thanks for explaining the tank connection for me blinky.

Thanks for the offer Ade, somebodies already offered to post them for me but if i have anymore pics to post could i ask youto post them for me.
          Thanks mate

Comment

Ade.....it's kind of late now, but do you know the title of the documentary?

Eric

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X