blade
        Attached Files

Comment

last picture

thanks for looking
          Attached Files

Comment

Larry,

Obviously it's impossible to comment much about the blade, other than it is in very clean condition. I can just make out a sanbonsugi style hamon - fairly typical of Seki work?
            Nice clean company grade tassel. Fairly scarce foul-weather hilt cover, which is a nice additional feature. Couple of unusual features - the clipped habaki...I've seen a few with piercings, like boar's eye etc, but that's a different one on me. Also, the material covering the tsuka, under the ito. That's usually same but yours appears to be something else (possibly canvas?) I know that as the war progressed same became a rare commodity and they even used a type of plastic (imitation) same, but yours isn't that either?
            Can't imagine your sword has seen a great deal of action - the combat cover is just so clean. Usually they are filthy from grease from the carrier's hand, especially around the top, where they carried them. Also the poppers on the leather have virtually all their paint - that usually gets worn off and they rust.
            Exceptionally clean example with some unusual features. A keeper I'd say Larry!

Regards,

Kevin.
            Last edited by Beater; 07-13-2016, 04:20 AM.

Comment

Kevin,

You're right about the Seki smith, Yoshimitsu - good eye!

ID'd at this post: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=865191

I've seen the canvas ito on late war kai-gunto, but this is the first one I've seen on army. But this one is dated 1941, so it seems early for canvas. Also, the tassel seems too new, maybe a repro addition; but very nice gunto.

Comment

Larry good to see you found a fine looking war time gunto.
                The leather is in amazing condition ! Combat cover clearly kept the officer tassel in pristine condition. Blades can be very hard to photograph. If you wanted a minty ww2 gunto you found one..

Comment

Originally posted by BruceP View Post
                  Kevin,

You're right about the Seki smith, Yoshimitsu - good eye!

ID'd at this post: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=865191

I've seen the canvas ito on late war kai-gunto, but this is the first one I've seen on army. But this one is dated 1941, so it seems early for canvas. Also, the tassel seems too new, maybe a repro addition; but very nice gunto.
                  Bruce,

This one is Yoshiaki from the thread Larry started immediately before this one...
                  http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=870101

Regards,

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Beater View Post
                    ...Also, the material covering the tsuka, under the ito. That's usually same but yours appears to be something else (possibly canvas?) ...
                    Kevin,

That material looks to me like regular run-of-the-mill shark skin that you'll find on European sword handles.

--Guy

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
                      Kevin,

That material looks to me like regular run-of-the-mill shark skin that you'll find on European sword handles.

--Guy
                      I agree. It was far more plentiful and cheaper than same. A definite later war economical move. Nice to see a sword that the vets kids did not play with or was used to trim the bushes.

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
                        Kevin,

--Guy
                        Yes Guy, could well be?

On European swords it was indeed sharkskin (known as shagreen) whereas, as you know, the Japanese used the skin of the Giant Ray, which they called same.

As a side note, I've had a couple of Mantetsu / Koa Isshin swords which all had imitation (plastic like) same which has a very even and regular texture of equal sized nodules.

Comment

thanks

Many thanks for all the comments--

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X