No announcement yet.

Japanese Sword - Today's Yard Sale Find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I don't want to say too much since I don't want to have problems with the moderators. However, the author of that thread writes a lot of outlandish comments on many threads. Many things he says have absolutely no basis in truth and mislead newer collectors. The signature has nothing to do with a cutting test and the handle has nothing to do with anything Japanese. It is in no way human bone which would be pretty disgusting.
    Alan, I am glad my website might have helped you!
    Best Wishes,
    Bob
    www.collectortocollectormilitaria.com

sigpic

Comment

Thanks, Bob.

Guy: the link you provided was must useful.

Comment

Take the bone to a local pathologist or a coroner and see for sure, that will clear up that issue . Lots of things happened on some of those islands . Skulls were taken as souvenirs, bones were taken for knife handles, ears were used as necklaces, my uncle even took gold teeth , so just sayin.
        Regarding signature comment not being relative to body tests , I have owned one that had a double line of carachters on on side and a single line on the other .
        The inscription of characters stated as I recall where the test cuts were made. Sometimes they used corpses. Others were criminals.
        Are you stating no swords had body tests on the tang, if so please enlighten us. You don't have to like me , to me this is not a popularity contest, and I am not always wrong. But I do know being able to find good Japanese swords is all about being at the right place at the right time , like this guys great find.
        If you don't like reading my opinions here on any thread, that's what the ignore button is for.
        Not sure if this one is a body tested example, just pointing the possibility out , it might be, and it is a medium point sword, and is rather old IMO. I also know that valuable swords are always played down by collectors seeking to buy them by even worse disinformation, you can tell by the pm's where people downplay and still want to purchase it.
        All comments aside to me this is a real find , the handle being human bone IMO is neither here nor there, only my opinion , as it is the blade that is the focus of value although this tuba is quite unusual, and should command a decent value alone.
        Congratulations on a great find. But I seriously doubt there is anyone here who can read this blade and be 100% correct either or it would have already happened.

Comment

The mei is just that there is no cutting test I don't know where you got the idea that there was one or that the sword had been tested on bodies
          Bone handle could have been put on by anyone

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
            The mei is just that there is no cutting test I don't know where you got the idea that there was one or that the sword had been tested on bodies
            Bone handle could have been put on by anyone
            I agree. This blade does not have a cutting tests. The majority of cutting tests had a gold inlay of the type of test and name and kakihan of the tester.
            The tsuka is post war added.

Comment

Nobukuni Yoshinaga was a member of the Nobukuni Yoshimasa group who worked in Northern Kyushu. This smith was most productive in the Kanbun period which ran from 1661 to 1673.
              The leather cover on the saya is likely pig hide. The swastika is a family crest used primarily in southern Kyushu. Blade and tsuba are likely always been together.

Comment

How long is the blade tip to notch in a straight line along the back

Comment

Thank you very much, Bob - excellent information.

Nick: The blade length measurement you asked for is 21 7/8 inches,

I can post photos of the measurements (if needed) tomorrow; right now I am not in a position to post additional photos.

Again, thanks to all contributors: I am really enjoying learning about this blade.

Comment

Overall blade length
                    Attached Files

Comment

Blade 2
                      Attached Files

Comment

Blade 3
                        Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X