• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chen View Post
    .Headquarters
    Mr Chen points out in yellow the words "shirebu"

司令部
    Shirebu
    Headquarters

This is another word for headquarters -- I'm normally used to "honbu" 本部.
    There might or might not be a nuanced meaning between the two words .... but they both mean headquarters.

Thanks Mr. Chen!
    --Guy

Comment

Mr. Chen,

What is that first kanji where you wrote "headquarters" -- it looks like the radical might be ? I think the following two might be 正要.

**正要*司令部

Thanks,
      --Guy

Comment

What u think?
        Attached Files

Comment

Mr. Chen,

Too many strokes in #1 for "winter" -- I think it's something else??

I think #2 is written like this:

or

What do you think?
          --Guy

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
            Mr. Chen,

Too many strokes in #1 for "winter" -- I think it's something else??

I think #2 is written like this:

or

What do you think?
            --Guy
            Guy,
            Actually i also think the #2 word exactly as you said.
            So only #1 left !

Comment

I will see if it's possible to get a better picture of the kanji in question.

Comment

Excellent work, Guy! the 'Drank at' phrase also caught my eye. Can't understand where the drinking was done, though.

Although I am not proficient at Japanese, I think shireibu (司令部) refers to HQ at a Army or Brigade level while honbu (本部) is an HQ at the regiment or platoon level. (Please correct me if I am wrong.)

Also, 要 is often used to designate a fortress artillery location/unit.

Comment

Originally posted by imperialjapan View Post
                  Excellent work, Guy! the 'Drank at' phrase also caught my eye. Can't understand where the drinking was done, though.

Although I am not proficient at Japanese, I think shireibu (司令部) refers to HQ at a Army or Brigade level while honbu (本部) is an HQ at the regiment or platoon level. (Please correct me if I am wrong.)

Also, 要 is often used to designate a fortress artillery location/unit.
                  Many thanks for your help, Rich! I was not aware that 要 designated artillery locations/units.

--Guy

Comment

As promised, here are some more pictures of that section of the flag. I've tried to take some with a little more light, a little less light, different angle, etc......
                    Attached Files

Comment

I know some of these are a bit redundant.
                      Attached Files

Comment

and of course I just noticed they were sideways.....
                        Attached Files

Comment

last ones
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thank you again to everyone, I really your help and comments. At least it seems a little bit of this flag's history prior to when it was taken has come to light.

Eric

Comment

After doing a little more digging I think that it is possible that the Japanese solder was part of one of the artillery units fighting at Aitape based on where Bob's unit was on the day he recalled taking it.
                              Also, it sounds like the family may have a photograph of Bob with this flag shortly after the battle.

And, thank you again everyone for your help! Bob's family really got a kick out of what you've shared with me about it.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by blinky View Post
                                After doing a little more digging I think that it is possible that the Japanese solder was part of one of the artillery units fighting at Aitape based on where Bob's unit was on the day he recalled taking it.
                                Also, it sounds like the family may have a photograph of Bob with this flag shortly after the battle.

And, thank you again everyone for your help! Bob's family really got a kick out of what you've shared with me about it.

Eric
                                Hi Eric, that would be fantastic to see a period picture of this flag. Hope it pans out.

PG-

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X