What's this patch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's this patch?

Can anyone ID this Japanese WW2 patch? It's about 3 inches on a side and backed with a heavy black paper. It was reportedly picked up by a Marine when they overran a Japanese supply depot.

Originally posted by Adam Lewis
    Can anyone ID this Japanese WW2 patch? It's about 3 inches on a side and backed with a heavy black paper. It was reportedly picked up by a Marine when they overran a Japanese supply depot.
    Here's the image.

Comment

Hi Adam
      I'm drawing a blank on this one. When I get home I'll double check but I think it might be for a para-military organization. Eric Doody might have a better idea than I do.

eric

Comment

Adam, there's nothing about your patch that looks Japanese. They didn't use that type of embroidery stitch & the design doesn't look Japanese as well.

Comment

Adam,

I am drawing a blank on this one as well.

I will check with a friend to see if he recognizes the patch...if I come up with anything, I will post a follow-up message.

Eric

Comment

Adam,

I checked with a Japanese friend who collects Japanese army militaria and photos and he didn't know what the patch was. He did say, that if the patch was Japanese, that it could be an unofficial unit patch similar to the patches shown in the photos below.

Hope this helps

Eric
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Eric Doody; 02-10-2005, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Here is another photo of a soldier wearing an unofficial unit patch...
              Attached Files

Comment

And finally, one more photo of a soldier with an unofficial unit patch...

Note: I would like to thank Mr. Shimada for use of his photos in this thread...Doomo arigatoo Shimada san.
                Attached Files

Comment

Nice photos! The type of stitching/embroidery used on the patch in question is more typical of U.S. made patches. I'm not 100 % certain but....

Comment

Jareth,

Glad you liked the photos and I hear ya!

Eric
                    Originally posted by Jareth
                    Nice photos! The type of stitching/embroidery used on the patch in question is more typical of U.S. made patches. I'm not 100 % certain but....

Comment

eric, Eric and Jareth,
                      Thanks very much for all the great opinions and feedback.

Comment

Adam,

Wish we could have identified the patch for you 100 %, but we couldn't.

If you find out what the patch is, please let us know.

Eric

Originally posted by Adam Lewis
                        eric, Eric and Jareth,
                        Thanks very much for all the great opinions and feedback.

Comment

This badge reminds me of the American Frontier Defense Sector insignia, the colours are appropiate and to an extent the backing ?

What about putting it on the American Forum too, in a hope of possible identification there ?

Probably barking up the wrong tree knowing me

Kr

Marcus

Comment

Adam,

Marcus brings up a good point. (I must admit that I was thinking along the same lines and I'm sure others on this forum were as well.)

If you haven't already done so, I recommend posting the photo of the subject patch on the US Militaria Forum to see what they have to say.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Eric

Comment

But if you look at the style of the 1 rotated 90 degrees it appears similiar to the kanji for 1. The black paper backing is also something you find on some Japanese insignia from the early occupation. I wonder if it's in some way related to the Japanese police during the occupation.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X