Opinions on Sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on Sword

When it comes to WWII era Japanese swords, I'm a complete novice. I was hoping to get some opinions on one that I'm looking at.

1.) Is it WWII vintage?
    2.) What value would you attach to it.

Link to pictures here.

Thanks so much!

Hi there,
    1) The sword is definitely not WW2 era. It appears to be an old hira zukuri (blade style without a shinogi ridge line) wakizashi.
    2) You may get varied responses as to value. I can not see if it is signed or not but assume not or you would probably have said / shown it more clearly. It is not in the best of condition but looks reasonable and very restorable, at a cost. The fittings look as if they were of reasonable quality but have been abused. The tsuba has had a lot of its patina polished / cleaned off. The blade needs a polish and the ito is frayed and needs rebinding. Finally the saya is a bit beat up and needs restoring.
    I would certainly buy it IF the price reflected all the work it needs. I would pay IRO £350 as it stands. Just my thoughts, others may have very different opinions but you did say what value would "you" attach, so we're all individuals with our own set of values.
    Regards,

Kevin.

Comment

Awesome. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X