Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Katana for review

Hi guys,
    I need your help here as i have no idea on originality(though it does look good to me) or pricing..what would be a fair price

I'll let the pics do the talking

I look forward to your comments on this piece

Thanks in advance

Bob
    Attached Files

more
    Attached Files

Comment

scabbard
      Attached Files

Comment

some of the blade
        Attached Files

Comment

Welcome Bob!

You have an authintic Japanese Type 95, variant 2, NCO sword (gunto)!

Pricing: these are going up lately. They used to go for $400-600 USD, but lately they, especially the variant 2 and 2a have been fetching more. This one has value due to the excellent condition of the handle paint (tsuka), maybe offset a bit for the stains on the blade. I just paid $1,300 ($,1500 after shipping, auction fees, etc) for the same kind, but it was mint. I would say in the USA, $800-!,200 would be fair

Side note - the rank tassel is of and company grade officer (Lt's and captains), so not normal for an NCO gunto. HOWEVER, it is known in the first half, first thrid of the war, officer gunto were in short supply and many were issued, and/or renting NCO gunto. So this arrangement could be original. OR the G.I. that grabbed it threw the first rank tassel he could find and put this on it.

Comment

BruceP said it better then me!!!!!!!!

Comment

Hi Bruce,
              Well i don't think anyone else needs to reply,you've written down all the info i needed to know...very,very helpful,thankyou so much for your time to do this.

Cheers Guys,if i get it i'll be looking for a nice flag and helmet to go with it.

Best Regards

Bob

Comment

Well finally done a deal on this piece,should get it late next week..

Comment

Looks like a nice authentic piece out of the Tokyo First Arsenal while the production program was under Kokura administration. A clear photo of the three stampings on the fuchi will allow us to determine the identity of the corporate maker within that complex. Tokyo First Arsenal sword blades have their serial number stamped in such a way as to be read when cutting edge of the blade is held down as yours is.

The fuchi I referred to is the small collar between the handle (tsuka) and the tsuba/seppa (hand guard/washer) set up. The symbols are best photographed and shown in a horizontal row with the tip of the sword toward the ground.

Regards,
                  Stu

Comment

Originally posted by Stu W View Post
                    Looks like a nice authentic piece out of the Tokyo First Arsenal while the production program was under Kokura administration. A clear photo of the three stampings on the fuchi will allow us to determine the identity of the corporate maker within that complex. Tokyo First Arsenal sword blades have their serial number stamped in such a way as to be read when cutting edge of the blade is held down as yours is.

The fuchi I referred to is the small collar between the handle (tsuka) and the tsuba/seppa (hand guard/washer) set up. The symbols are best photographed and shown in a horizontal row with the tip of the sword toward the ground.

Regards,
                    Stu
                    Hi Stu,
                    many thanks for the nice comments,yes i''l be doing some pictures for all to see when it arrives,just need a flag, helmet and saki cup to go with it

Cheers

Bob

Comment

DIDN"T SEEpic of #on scabbard ...does it match #on blade?...that affects value of specimen ... EC

Comment

Originally posted by ENGLISH BOB View Post
                        yes i''l be doing some pictures for all to see when it arrives
                        Hi Bob, i look forward to seeing them.
                        I think it is part of the final production output from the Tokyo 1st Arsenal.

If the fuchi (collar) has the four cannon ball logo from Kokura, then it would be made by the Ichi contractor(cherry blossom with the Kanji for one),
                        otherwise it should have the Star stamp of the Tokyo 1st Arsenal with either the Iijima or Suya stamp (more likely to be one of these)

Cheers

Comment

Ah, ole chap looks like a nice un-touched piece.
                          One with a officers tassel that would be hard to deny
                          that its been on there since the war.

Overall a common nco but, nice and fresh.

Comment

Originally posted by MAUSER99 View Post
                            Ah, ole chap looks like a nice un-touched piece.
                            One with a officers tassel that would be hard to deny
                            that its been on there since the war.

Overall a common nco but, nice and fresh.
                            Cheers Wayne,
                            glad you like the new addition

Regards

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by STEGEL View Post
                              Hi Bob, i look forward to seeing them.
                              I think it is part of the final production output from the Tokyo 1st Arsenal.

If the fuchi (collar) has the four cannon ball logo from Kokura, then it would be made by the Ichi contractor(cherry blossom with the Kanji for one),
                              otherwise it should have the Star stamp of the Tokyo 1st Arsenal with either the Iijima or Suya stamp (more likely to be one of these)

Cheers
                              Apologies to you Stegel for not thanking you for your time to comment
                              Hopefully not to much longer to wait now.

Cheers

Bob

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X