Attached Files

Comment

s5
          Attached Files

Comment

s6
            Attached Files

Comment

OK, let's get the ball rolling. Just my thoughts, others may have different views...Looks like an old blade, late Koto / early Shinto? judging from the dark rust patina of the tang. The taper (fumbari) makes me think probably Shinto. Old sukashi iron tsuba, could be similar age to the blade.
              Leather covered saya, so obviously taken to war. Might be a family blade or an old sword bought from a sword dealer? Can't see a signature, which is called mumei (no name). Using the crate as a guide, it appears to be a long wakizashi rather than a katana. 24" is the usual length which are considered katana. Lots of sword dealers describe the shorter swords in military mounts, as pilot's or tank crew swords. Whilst this may be true, I believe there is no hard and fast evidence to support this claim.
              Pictures aren't great but looks healthy and no obvious rust issues.
              The two holes show it was remounted and probably shortened (suriage) as the lower hole looks to be too low down unless some metal has been cut off the end of the tang.
              Nice sword.

Comment

Hi thank you for the help with the sword, IT does have a signature on the handle but can't get it to come out in the pictures guess I need to get a better camera

James

Comment

When posting new pictures of the nakago with the signature, please do not post it sideways as you presently did. The nakago should be shown with the butt end at the bottom with the point towards the top. Possibly you can highlight the signature with chalk.

Comment

Gets better if it's signed...I couldn't see that! Bob's chalk suggestion will help. Another possibility is to hold tang over a candle and get it smothered with soot. You then press some wide sellotape over the sooty inscription. Lift it up and stick the tape onto some white card or paper. That can produce a nice clear image. Similar to the technique used to show fingerprints. Wash the soot off with a nail brush and soap. Dry thorough. Whatever you do, don't try to clean the rust off that tang.

Being impatient and willing to stick my neck out (he who dares Rodney), I enlarged, rotated and played with colour tone. Still a big punt but I think it may be Eiroku ju nen.
                    永禄 Eiroku - began 1558
                    十 Ju (10)
                    年 Nen (Year)

i.e. 1567

Have to wait and see what the better images produce and I can't see a thing on the signature side.
                    Last edited by Beater; 04-15-2016, 12:16 PM.

Comment

p1
                      Attached Files

Comment

still very hard to see ,,guess ill have to bring it to someone .

Comment

James,

Could I trouble you to get some closer pictures of the kissaki and the hamon?

thanks,
                          Chuck

Comment

I don't know to much about Japanese items or swords so if you till me what parts of the sword that is , I'll take some more pictures next week for you, but i can only post them once a week .

Thank you James

Sorry guys don't know to much about Japanese stuff

Comment

The kissaki is the point and the hamon is the temper pattern.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X