Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monster of a sword

Hi Folks,

Can anyone help me please? This tachi mei is on a huge 30" Hizen sword in shirasaya, which I am considering.
    Think it's Hizen kuni Hashimoto Shinsaemon Tadayoshi but I'm sure Guy will correct me if I've got it wrong.
    I understand this content was used by the 8th generation, around the mid-1800's. It is typically Hizen in construction, ie chu suguha hamon, ji nie is dense and fine, ko-maru boshi, tight ko Hada. I've struggled in the past with Hizen signatures and their known variations, so wondered if anyone has another by this smith for comparison or knows of a good reference they can suggest to help with comparison?
    Thanks in anticipation.

Ko-mokume hada is missing from below - typo.

Comment

Originally posted by Beater View Post
      ...Hizen kuni Hashimoto Shinsaemon Tadayoshi
      You are 100% correct.

On iPhone...can't be verbose.

--Guy

Comment

Hizen Taikan has oshigata of the Hizen smiths along with mei variations

Comment

I don't want to drag this thread off topic but can any of you recommend a basic beginners book for Japanese swords? My knowledge in this area is essentially non-existent!
          Jim

Comment

Originally posted by james m View Post
            I don't want to drag this thread off topic but can any of you recommend a basic beginners book for Japanese swords? My knowledge in this area is essentially non-existent!
            Jim
            You could get a copy of Hizen Taikan by Dr Homma. Snip at about $300. When you've finished translating it from Japanese, could I borrow it?

Or, something like John Yumoto's The Samurai Sword - A handbook, is one which many cut their teeth on.

Comment

I agree that the Yumoto book is a good place to start the journey of learning about Nihonto.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X