Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recent find - shingunto with old blade

Hi Folks,

Thought you might like to see this one - needs some TLC but a worthwhile project.
    It is 27". The bo-hi pass through the tang, which has three full mekugi-ana and a partial fourth on the very end of the tang. I think this was originally at least a 30" cutting edge; maybe a tachi?
    It is quite beefy and healthy for an old girl. I have been advised from the sori / shape, this could be Nambokucho era? I'd be very interested in your considered opinions.
    Polish is pretty good save for one bit of rust on the Mune area, which I'm confident will come out in a polish. I've spent some time uchico'ing the blade since receiving it and it has improved the polish but I'm saving for a full polish.
    The mounts comprise of an old shira-saya, adapted for military service by adding an ashi and leather combat cover, which has completely rotted away. The tsuka has a battle-wrap type binding in brown Ito. Gilded copper dragon menuki holding a Ken - probably Showa period. Mis-matched fuchi- kashira. The tsuba is an old Nara school, I think, rather rusty. That's parcel tape on the bottom of the saya, to keep it together for the time being!
    The dark patches on the Ito seem to be a thin lacquer rather than hand grease / grime. I'll try to remove this but am thinking how best to approach that at the moment.

Hi,
    Looks very nice a good find, love to see better photos of the blade before and after a polish always wanted a nice one but they seem to elude me.
    Mark

Comment

Its not a shingunto, but an old samurai sword, congrats.

Comment

WOW - that's a real beauty!

If I were to have only one in my collection, I think it would have to be one like that . . . simple, unadulterated, and just oozing in history.

Comment

The ito has hand grease , its not lacquer!

I woyld like to se a closeup of kojiri ,looks to have some motif on it.

Comment

Originally posted by gunto View Post
            The ito has hand grease , its not lacquer!

I woyld like to se a closeup of kojiri ,looks to have some motif on it.
            As per my first post - that's parcel tape, not a Kojiri and the motif you're seeing is a wrinkle in the tape.

I've already washed the Ito with washing-up liquid and a soft brush, which I always do if they are sound and not fraying. That usually removes grime and hand grease. Not on this one. It's something else.
            As you know the late war style of itomaki was called Katatemaki or "battle wrap". That was usually lacquered (see photo of another one of mine below) which makes me think that not only have they used that style of wrap but it was then also lacquered?

Here's better photos of this hilt and the lacquer? (or whatever it is - not hand grease) is too patchy and isolated. It would be impossible to wash off some of the grease / grime and leave any behind like this.

Comment

Originally posted by N.C. Wyeth View Post
              WOW - that's a real beauty!

If I were to have only one in my collection, I think it would have to be one like that . . . simple, unadulterated, and just oozing in history.
              Thank you. Yes, as they say, if that blade could talk. It is almost certainly Koto, so pre-1600. The question is just how old? Muromachi or Nambokucho seem to be the two most likely candidates but happy for anyone to offer their considered opinions.

Comment

Still dont believe its been lacqured.

Comment

Originally posted by gunto View Post
                  Still dont believe its been lacqured.
                  Beater,

I agree with gunto -- it is oil/moisture from the hand. I've used swords in iaido for over 30 years ... the ito absorbs oils and moisture, as it is designed to do (as well as making the sword easier to handle -- can you imagine gripping a bare wood handle, or worse: one wraped with same-gawa???).

My first Toyama Ryu teacher told me to mix some Elmer's glue with water, then coat the ito with that mixture. It ends up getting glue into the threads and helps to prevent the ito cross-over knots from shifting. He also advised me to spread a liberal coat of Elmer's in the "lozenges" and use a toothpick to work it under the ito. I did this on a Kaigunto blade that I had new furniture/handle made. That was in 1983 and I used it daily until about 1994. The ito is still as firm as when it was first wrapped; .... and: it is discolored (like yours) where my hand placement has been.

--Guy

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
                    Beater,

I agree with gunto -- it is oil/moisture from the hand. I've used swords in iaido for over 30 years ... the ito absorbs oils and moisture, as it is designed to do (as well as making the sword easier to handle -- can you imagine gripping a bare wood handle, or worse: one wraped with same-gawa???).

My first Toyama Ryu teacher told me to mix some Elmer's glue with water, then coat the ito with that mixture. It ends up getting glue into the threads and helps to prevent the ito cross-over knots from shifting. He also advised me to spread a liberal coat of Elmer's in the "lozenges" and use a toothpick to work it under the ito. I did this on a Kaigunto blade that I had new furniture/handle made. That was in 1983 and I used it daily until about 1994. The ito is still as firm as when it was first wrapped; .... and: it is discolored (like yours) where my hand placement has been.

--Guy
                    Hello Guy

Thanks for that. Thomas L.Buck PhD., Tsuka-maki and saya restorer in the USA uses lacquer on his Katate-maki hilts.
                    http://www.tsukamaki.net/gallery_12.htm

I've heard of Iai swords having PVA glue applied to the ito over here too (is that what Elmer's is?)

Comment

Originally posted by Beater View Post
                      Hello Guy

Thanks for that. Thomas L.Buck PhD., Tsuka-maki and saya restorer in the USA uses lacquer on his Katate-maki hilts.
                      http://www.tsukamaki.net/gallery_12.htm

I've heard of Iai swords having PVA glue applied to the ito over here too (is that what Elmer's is?)
                      Hi Beater ... yes, Elmer's = PVA.

And "WOW!" .... Dr. Buck does an amazing tsukamaki job.

By the way, do you know Paul Martin, lately of London now residing in Tokyo? While he was persuing his Master of Arts degree at Berkeley a few years back he gave a lecture at my dojo, then at the local University. Amazing knowledge.

Cheers,
                      --Guy

Comment

Guy,

I have heard of Mr Martin but not made his acquaintance. He seems to be very well connected within the sword community.

Kevin.

Comment

He does some amazing refurbishments.
                          http://www.tsukamaki.net/services.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Lampwick View Post
                            He does some amazing refurbishments.
                            http://www.tsukamaki.net/services.htm
                            Very nice but wrong side of the Atlantic for us. Mick Hicks, in the UK, is an excellent tsuka wrapper. Japanese-trained and does restoration for the big museums.

Comment

Update on hilt cleaning...well, the grease / grime -v- is it lacquer debate is over.
                              As previously stated, I had already washed the ito with soap and a brush and the earlier photos were of what remained.
                              I thought long and hard about what to try next. Then I noted that it actually scratched off quite easily with my finger nail in small flakes. Job done.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X