Clear All

Japanese cap tally ??

Hi all,

is it Japanese ww2 ? What does it say ?

Thanks, Jens
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

It is not like any Japanese tally I have seen before . Looks Chinese and for some kind of training vessel with the significance of whatever 大清通濟 means. River boat training?

Tom

Comment

Training Ship

It is Chinese:

大清通濟練船
        Dà qīng tōng jì liàn chuán
        Great Ching Tonji Training Ship

Hopefully one of our Chinese-speakers can help us !!!

It might be this one:

通濟」練習艦
        source

--Guy

Comment

Ok, many thanks. I didnt see the difference in language. Interesting to know its Chinese. So is it still ww2 ?

Thanks, Jens

Comment

Originally posted by zbv500 View Post
            Ok, many thanks. I didnt see the difference in language. Interesting to know its Chinese. So is it still ww2 ?

Thanks, Jens
            Pre-war, but was around for the early stage of the Japan-China War. This man was Tongji's captain from 1920-1922:

通濟號訓練艦上校艦長
            (1920-1922年)
            Chinese Wiki

Chen Shaokuan was born in Chengmen Village, Min County, Fujian Province, China in 1889. His father was originally a carpenter, but joined the Qing Dynasty Navy as a ordinary seaman, thus introducing him to the life at sea. At the age of 17, he attended the Jiangnan Naval Academy in Nanjing, China, graduating at the age of 20, and served aboard training cruiser Tongji. [ghp note: 1889 + 17 = 1906]....In 1921, he returned to China and took command of training cruiser Tongji.

source
            According to a cached source of a dead link:
            The cruisers ROCS Haichou, Yingrui, and Tongji were sunk along with all of China's smaller ships, with no losses on the Japanese side. The rest of the ROCN fled north to Nantong, where they were sunk by aircraft on July 15. In just under a week the entire Chinese navy was destroyed and Japan had full naval superiority.

The small and outdated ROCN was sunk between July 3 and 15, 1937
            On Axis Forum a commenter states the ships were scuttled by the Chinese in 1937; amongst those were the Tongji. In 1962, the "Tongji" was raised from its watery sleep, salvaged by the Shanghai Salvage Bureau [see the last post in the AF link I gave]. Report in Chinese linked in the above-mentioned post: here.

--Guy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X