GeneralAssaultMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help Identifying reproduction Japanese uniforms and helmets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help Identifying reproduction Japanese uniforms and helmets.

Hello
    Would anyone know of any sources or books to read that help with Japanese uniforms and or helmets,there seems to be plenty of information on swords and flags, but not so on other items,I am guessing swords and flags are the biggest minefield in Japanese collecting,But what about other items?.
    Cheers

Welcome to the W.A. Japanese forum!

The best reference books on Imperial Japanese uniforms and equipment are...

Imperial Japanese Army and Navy Uniforms and Equipment, Tadao Nakata and Thomas B. Nelson, 1975, Lionel Leventhal Ltd./Ironsides International Publishers Lt.

Uniforms and Equipment of the Imperial Japanese Army in World War 2, Mike Hewitt, 2002, Shiffer Publishing Ltd.

Hetai, Augustin Saiz, 2011 Andrea Press

These are available through Amazon and the big auction site but not necessarily cheap. They are all good quality or better photo books. The Nakata/Nelson book is in Japanese with a less than adequate printed English insert, the other two are in English.

Repro makers often have their own markings to differentiate them from original period pieces, like roman numbers or letters.

You're correct about swords and flags but other items can present problems. The best rule with uniforms, hats, bags, blankets, helmets, etc., and the like is to check for issue stamp and how the item is constructed. The minefield of fakes and misrepresentations is likely only going to grow bigger. This forum is often the best way to get a quick opinion on something doubtful.

Rod

Comment

hello

hoi Rod

that are good books, also in mine opinion JAPAN AT WAR from Russ Arendell and Gunnar Abramson Volume 1 and 2

uniforms,weapens,equipment and ephemera of the Heitai

greetings Bruno

Comment

Thank you rod and bruno! Its good to finally get some information.

But do all items have issue stamps as a friend of mine has a japenese field cap which is made out of the correct material i think, a strong Coarse wool Kind of itchy material with an enlisted mans star with no chinstrap.

However the liner is either missing or was never put in with no stamps to boot, it was sold as a very late war cap will be seeing if i can get some pictures.

Cheers
        Last edited by Karl pilkington; 03-01-2016, 06:47 AM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Hi Karl,

You're very welcome. There are very late war unlined EM caps that had a square little paper label showing the size sewn into a seam. It's impossible to say anything without seeing pics. With Japanese uniforms and equipment there are very few variations in standard issue items, unfortunately the civilian population also wore clothing that mimicked military styles of the time which sometimes get passed off as army items.

You could take a look through Nick Komiya's articles pinned to the top of the forum's main page. They are rich in information but are also pretty advanced if you're unfamiliar with the basic items. Feel free to ask if you want to know something"

hi Bruno,

You are right, those two books are an excellent resource. Sadly they are out of print and unavailable. Good news though is Russ will soon be publishing a huge revised book of Japanese militaria soon, that is how I understand it at this point in time at least. Here's the link to the earlier two volume set.

http://ironlegions.weebly.com/japan-...aria-book.html

Here's the link to the new militaria book discussion thread on .

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...militaria+book

Rod

Comment

hoi Karl

also welkom to the forum,,,,

hoi Rod,, thanks for the link from the new book from Russ, i am waiting for his new book

greetings Bruno

Comment

Cheers rod, i didn't realise someone could know that much information on the type 90 or canteens for that matter.

Having probelms getting the pictures of the field cap at the moment hopefully will get them soon

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Karl pilkington View Post
                Cheers rod, i didn't realise someone could know that much information on the type 90 or canteens for that matter.

Having probelms getting the pictures of the field cap at the moment hopefully will get them soon

Cheers
                True dat Karl, Nick's work is unique in its depth and detail to anything available in print in English anywhere, it's really a privilege to have that kind of access. I've heard rumors there may be a book in the works from Mr. Komiya which I hope is true.

Bring on the pics pal, let's have a look at this thing.

Rod

Comment

Pictures of the cap

I finaly have pictures of the cap, i am sorry it took this long to get the pictures of it.

Although there isn't any pictures of the side, i think there are holes where a chinstrap is supposed to go.

Cheers.

Comment

Hi Karl welcome,
                    the hat, at least, is not textbook. Stars sewn on the front are not complete threading like the picture you have. Also, interior looks to be missing liner. Should have a leather liner on the inside rim and mat liner with ink stamp. I would say this is an older reproduction of some sort. Also, except for an experimental field cap from 1931 which didn't have chinstrap, EM army cap should have one.

Flags are not big minefields in my opinion. I would be careful of swords unless you REALLY know what you're looking at, and also uniforms.

Comment

A say repro too.

Yes , swords is a mine field, but asking here first You get the corret answer.

Welcome ,"Karl Pilkington".........love that name

Comment

Thanks for posting pics Karl! I too would have to say repro, fake or movie prop.

Stuff to look for... The yellow stars on EM/NCO caps are wool felt, moth love them. The air vents are always stitch reinforced, these have grommets (officer's caps have grommets but the stars are cloth backed bullion). The stitching pattern on the visor isn't right, there should be 3 rows on the under side and 1 near the rim on the top side. The cap's wool body isn't the normal coarse wool I'm used to seeing, which mid war on was probably a wool, cotton, rayon blend because moth don't seem to like that part of the cap much (early war caps were wool felt, attractive to moth). The liner should be muslin cotton with issue stamps and date. The sweatband can be pig leather, faux leather or a thin rubber material later in the war.

There are a lot of poser and fantasy caps around, books are a great starting point. Articles of Japanese army clothing on the big auction site usually include pics of army issue stamps which can be studied. For me, in the EM/NCO area, no issue stamps... no sale.

Rod
                        Last edited by Rod G; 03-07-2016, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Thank you

I appreciate the information guys.

what makes this more frustrating is that now that we have been doing research and learning how to spot fakes, it seems easy to tell the difference between this cap and real IJA caps.

Thankfully my friend wasn't annoyed very much as he wanted to get a good early cap to replace it anyway

thanks for the help.

Cheers

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X